SHOOTING PROFIT (distance)

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Aktarus, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Aktarus

Aktarus New Member

SHOOTING PROFIT (distance) - A revolver 357mag. barrel with a 6 "how far can target? Let me explain: With this revolver, I can shoot a fox at 200m? :rolleyes:

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Not likely. 200 Meters is 218.72266 yards. Thats a long way off for any pistol shot. I'm giving 100:1 odds in favor of the Fox.

I can't even come up with a "reasonable scenario" that would justify a pistol shot at that distance... only stupid.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm with Mark on this one. I a 6" 357 and if I was hunting deer the longest shot I would feel comfortable taking is 50 yards which is 1/4 of your distance at a larger target(8" circle kill zone).
    The only way I would attempt a 200yd shot with mine is at the range for kicks.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

No, and it's a silly idea...

5. crossfire

crossfire New Member

I'm probably going to upset you with this, but....
    (1) Unless you are using a silhouette pistol, and a very accurate one at that, your .357 probably does not have the ability to consistently hit a kill zone at that distance.
    (2) It's doubtful you have the ability to hit a 4" circle with every shot at that distance even if your handgun does. The majority of shooters can't do that at 100 yards, much less 220.
    (3) Unless you are using extreme pressure loads, you don't have the power to guarantee a clean kill at that distance even if you could hit the target.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I know of one or two marksmen in the world that could do that. They shoot for a living.

The barrel of your 357 would be elevated to the point that the barrel would obstruct the view of your target.

I deer hunt with a 10 inch 357 mag with custom handloads. 100 meters is about my max- against a larger target- and that is shooting from a supported position, not standing offhand. And I shoot a LOT.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think we can answer this question without the use of "stupid" and "silly".

Aktarus, "...shoot a(t) fox at 200m?" Sure. Harvest that fox? Only with luck and mad skilz!

Try this:

Modern Ballistics

8. Mark F

I feral pig hunt with a Custom-made 44 Magnum Smith & Wesson 629-6 Performance Center Hunter Plus. It's got a 7.5" Walther progressive twist barrel that will handle loads leaving the barrel at well over .357 Magnum velocities. This revolver is made specifically to "reach waaaay out there" and drop them in their tracks.

At 25 Yards, I can easily hit a quarter 6 times in a row. But even benchresting, the best I can reliably hit is a 8" target at 75 yards. At 100 yards, "maybe" a 50/50 chance of a dead-on hit. 200 yards... no freakin' way.

Make no mistake, I am one hell of a shooter and I can't hit a bus at 200 yards with a .357 Magnum.

Attached Files:

9. Mark F

I'm not calling any person stupid, just the idea.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I know, I know......I'm just intimidated by Texans. [​IMG]

11. Mark F

No reason for that, my friend...

12. WDB

WDB New Member

BS at best, mall ninja in the making?

13. Chiefof21

Chiefof21 New Member

I am sorry but, unless you are Bob Munden or Jerry Miculek, I find that difficult (at best) to believe.

14. Aktarus

Aktarus New Member

Not all shooters can do downtown 200yard. but someone can... even if his name is not Jerry Miculek ;)
    YouTube - 357mag. 200 yard

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You are definitely mellowing, Cane! Thanks for the "Talk nice" reminder.

Sometimes people are just asking theoretical questions to find out the extremes. It sounds like he doesn't want to leave the comfort of his heated porch and the chicken coop is a couple of European football fields away.

Don't hit those chickens!

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Here's my answer:

Handguns are not intended to be used at that range.

17. Aktarus

Aktarus New Member

Imho...

We all know that the distance to use a revolver 357mag. barrel with a 6 "is 25-50m. IMHO, if I were to shoot from 200m ... I, I would not stay still and wait for the arrival of the bullet ... why run away before. :D :D

18. WDB

WDB New Member

Isn't Utube great:) I once got a hole in one on a par three, where was my vid camera:confused:

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

There's no telling how many times they shot that before they finally got a hit.

Plus, I personally get much out of putting my revolver on a rest (or any gun) except to sight it in. Where's the skill? Maybe off a sandbag or crate or something to simulate bracing yourself for a shot you might take in an actual "real world" setting, otherwise it's not really YOU doing the shooting.

For off handed (real) shooting revolvers can be very effective in the 50 yard (plus or minus 10 or so) MAX.

20. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

You can shoot it at a fox
    You can shoot it at a box
    You can shoot it at a ham
    You can shoot it at a lamb
    You can shoot it at a bus,
    But you won't hit them, Aktarus.

[​IMG]