Shooting pigeons in barns.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Davyboy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

My daughters show jumping trainer has asked me to shoot ferrel pigeons in the indoor arena. The roof is from 1970s asbestos. I am looking for advice on how to shoot them without damaging the roof.

2. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

Spot and Shoot

.22 shorts with Blaser or bird shot, go at night with a light, spot and shoot.
    A friend of mine eats them, he will go to the barn with a burlap bag and come out with a bag full of live pigeons.
    He takes the ones left over and goes to the other end of town and sells them.

3. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I used to use a old Crosman pump up 22 cal pellet gun. 3 pumps was enough
    to knock them out of the rafters, but a miss wouldn't even dent the metal
    roof.

You might try Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri ammo, or maybe a primer powered
    wax or rubber bullet load. If you are feeling sporting, a wrist rocket and a
    pocket full of marbles, or a blowgun will do the job.:)

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Get a scissor lift or something & get up on their level to shoot horizontal rather than vertical with a pellet gun; that should eliminate misses. My pellet gun has a handy scope that limits my misses.

Alternatively, you could use a catapult to launch feral cats at the pigeons, but the kitties might have some rough landings. I don't suppose their is anyway you could use some gas on them? Some gasses go up, which is where the birds are, and birds are really sensitive to poison gas (mining).

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

22 with rat shot. It doesn't take much to kill a pigeon and they won't go thru any walls or roof. That was what my dad/granddad used on the farm for years. My dad got a quarter a piece for a pigeon from his grandfather(he liked pigeon pot pie) which was big money back in the day.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Man, you sure don't want to stir up that asbestos, whether you use birdshot or pellets or whatever. I sure understand your wanting to help, but I would take a pass on that one........

7. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

After that line............ I sorta kinda thought maybe I wouldn't wanta shoot at the birds!

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Don't shoot them at all, use instant white rice. Leave it in piles, the pigeon will eat it until they choke on it. Then just dispose of them. :)

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sarin gas....................

Attached Files:

10. m260gt

m260gt New Member

give them rice and water and watch them explode. hahaha

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Asbestos or not, if you get holes in the roof of your barn you'll be pissed. The last year of high school and for almost 3 years after that my friend donated his barn, with his parents blessings, for our pay to go to parties. Live bands, food, and plenty of alcohol. Part of the gig was eliminating filthy pigeons from the barn before the parties. His dad was cool with this as the pigeons were a problem. We ended up putting shotgun shot holes in the roof of this barn and man was his Dad pissed. It was a tin roof on this barn with 4 foot rafter spans and my friend and I had to get up on this uber tall barn and patch these holes lest we were beat by his dad. This was probably one of the scarriest things I have ever done in my life. Not so much due to the steep pitch of the roof but the fear of falling through the damn thing, which was 30 feet tall. Maby where you live you can get Avertrol. It's illegal here in California now but some states still allow it's use. This is kind of an LSD for pigeons and really effs them up for awhile. When the other pigeons see their comrads all screwed up on this stuff, it scares them off and they usually stay away for quite some time. Just a thought.

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'm just guessing here, but I take it you're talking about asbestos shingles nailed to wood. Being an ex-connoisseur of pigeon (Hot skillet with real butter, onions and chunked puff-ball with pepper to suit your taste) they can be had with BB's or .177 out of an airgun. If you want some more oomph, you'll need to climb above them so that you're shooting downward. :D

13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Pigeons= squab=money!!!

I'd worry about your daughter breathing in asbestos!!!! 22cal. pellet gun with scope. Then it's Pot frying time.......:eek::)

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Use HOT FOOT™ Repellent gel. This will get rid of them. I treated an entire shopping center(Centre):D, where the pigeons were so heavy the poo was destroying the signs. Cleaned up the mess put out the Hot Foot and the Pigeon problem was solved.

Bird Repellent Gel Product Data from Hot Foot

Avitrol is good and there will be birds dying from it. The Higher the % of Avitrol the more dead birds. There is also a baiting strategy for this method.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

16. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Hi Gork,

No it is corrugated sheeting. I have a .22 shotty and will maybe try that, also a Logun s16s may give that a try but will stay away from 12 bores on this one. A buddy of mine on a UK forum told me to wear an FFP3 mask whilst shooting and then he went on holiday. Anyone know what he is talking about?

17. orangello

orangello New Member

18. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Get a Crosman Pumpmaster http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pneumatic/760B
    You regulate the muzzle velocity, it'll shoot BB's or .177 lead, and they are very accurate. I'm thinking the one I had back in the Stone Age was called a Fieldmaster. And they're fun as Hell to shoot!

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would put out a variety of seeds then see which one they like the best. Put out big piles of it in metal pie pans. Then get one of them ground blinds. With a 22 shooting shorts or cb caps set up about 30 or so feet away from the piles then just start picking them off while on the ground feasting on your seed.

Then your not shooting up and there is no chance of disturbing the asbestos.

20. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm sticking with 22LR with rat shot.