Shooting Outdoors On Your Own Land

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by NOVA, Dec 13, 2011.

1. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Condominium timeshares have been around for a long time - why not do the same thing for land - for hunting, camping, fishing and best of all shooting guns.

Is this a dumb idea? Why would it not work? Suppose you got 36 investors to invest $1400.00 each on a piece of land worth $50,000.00.

It could be a like a timeshare - each member gets to use it ten days out of the year.

If I had a deal like that I would be willing to drive a couple hours to take advantage of it. Being able to go to my own land and do some plinking, squirrel hunting, maybe a little camping by a stream would be awesome!

Maybe there would be a annual maintenance fee and we'd all meet once a year for projects (board of directors) - over a few years maybe even have enough funds to build a small lodge.

Or I reckon I could just join a hunting club...

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I'm in like Flynn...is this just a why not thing or have you thought seriously about it?

3. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Well, I'm hoping to get replies from someone who might have done this before or done research on it. I am considering it as a one year project because that's how long it would take me to save for it.

For right now, if there's enough people interested we can keep the dialogue open and try to address all of the practical matters, issues, concerns. So yes, I'm serious, but want to proceed cautiously. I have not contacted any Real Estate agents yet.

I've seen small one acre to five acre lots mostly towards the southwestern region of Virginia, starting around $15,000.0 to $25,000.00.

I would not want to have to drive much farther than that area since I live in Reston, just outside of DC. I would only consider something within driving distance, not flying, to help keep costs down.

Are you in North Carolina? I was born there. Is there any land near you that's good for hunting or camping?

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Meh, from here you'd be well advised to go west past the triad area (Greensboro, Winston Salem), urban sprawl is a bi**h. North central NC/SW VA is the best bet to still be able to drive it. (Whole lotta nothing out that way too) I've been discussing something similar with friends but so far it's just pipe dreaming. I'm always looking for a project, let me do some research, you've got my interest piqued!

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Try looking WEST of Winchester VA. There is still farmland out there.

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Noted, thanks! :D

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Isn't that about how a hunting club/lease is supposed to work? Our am I just completely lost?

9. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

That's the way it works around here with the hunting clubs. A few hunting clubs have leased nearly all the public land in this area so hunting and shooting on open land is practically non-existent now.

10. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Glad to see some good responses here. I've posted the same idea twice on a gun forum for Virgiunia Gun Owners and have not had this kind of response.

I have never been a member of a hunting club, but the ones I looked in to seem kind of expensive. Also get the impression you need to kow someone to get invited to join. I'm OK with joining a hunting club but would rather have a little more freedom to go do what I want on some mutually owned land. Like a timeshare concept, certain days of the year would be reserved exclusively for each co-owner's use.

11. NOVA

NOVA New Member

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

It may not be the practical choice for you, but, and I hate to say this, it may be the only choice you have.