Shooting or Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by oldscuba, Feb 26, 2010.

1. oldscuba

oldscuba New Member

I never hunted, but I like shooting Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and now Prairie Dogs.

Think I am hooked on this Prairie Dog thing, but is that hunting or shooting?

IMHO, not too hard to sneak up on a P Dog, so this cannot be hunting...

But, it is a very long drive from Pennsylvania to dog towns... does the long drive count as the hunt? :D

What do you think of someone who shoot those cute little critters, bad boy? not a sportsman?

Tell me the truth, I need to break the addiction... :rolleyes:

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Pest/vermin control. I think they might be saving somebody or a horse a broken leg. Blast away, IMO.

Have you tried coyotes? Kill em all, let the maggots sort them out.

3. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

Not too hard to sneak up on them, but they are small, rather quick targets. Kinda look at it like it is live target shooting. Way more fun that setting a trap or laying poison out!!!

4. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

That would depend on a couple of things. And this is my personal opinion. I consider it hunting if you actually use the animal in one way or another, be it for trophy or food. If you are just shooting and leaving the animal where they lay, well I don't consider that hunting. Now there is also the difference of a hunter and a sportsman. Shooting prarie dogs does not fall into either category for me. Personal opinion. ;)

5. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Vermin

Look on the bright if you are hunting and killing vermin at the same time that makes you a conservationalist LMAO

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Personally, plinking varmits is not hunting. It is what it is.

I hunt, but I don't trophy hunt. I like to eat what I kill, if it is edible and fits into "game" category. I've never eaten prarie dog, but I imagine it would be fine tasting. Maybe like squirrel.

Feral cat shooting is not hunting either, to me. It is ridding the area of pests.

Coyote shooting is hunting to me because they are not very easy to hunt. I don't eat them, but they are a predator/scavanger that can be very destructive to farm animals, deer population and domesticated pets.

I say plink away and enjoy. :D

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

exactamundo, Skull.

8. oldscuba

oldscuba New Member

Some folks keep these as pets! Cute little rats

I was told by a South Dakota PD shooter that if Walt Disney ever decided to dress up P Dogs and make a movie with them, they become an US endangered speices... like some state are already trying to do.

Let see, I ve see them dancing and kissing... so give them a little Suit Jacket 'n a Top Hat they be a star

9. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Hunting

I am extremly lucky I have stalked red deer in Scotland and shot a Royal stag 12 pointer. In our part of the world hunting is few and far between even squirrels and rabbits are running scared. You may or may not have heard about the ban on fox hunting in UK. They are now turning up in towns as urban pests. Freakin pests, bloody do gooders never shot or hunted or understand the countryside. God forbid it may eventually happen to you.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Hunting in the States generates lots of money. Plus, the auto insurance companies press the individual states to up the number of deer limit and lengthen the hunting seasons. :D

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I sponsored one of my nephews in the deer hunting arena. I bought him $100 of ammo (3 measly boxes) for his .260, a caliber which i had not heard of. I need to find out how that investment paid off; lil turdlet better have some dead ungulates to tell me about.