Shooting low

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by chazzy, Feb 14, 2012.

1. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Alright guys/gals....what am I doing wrong that is making me shoot 2-3" low at 15yrds? I have an awesome grouping (within an 8"circle) and shooting a slow rapid fire (not quite 1 second between shots)....I'm shooting an XD9 sub.

2. glockman55

glockman55 Member

3. slim325

slim325 New Member

Maybe hand position try pushing more with your right hand let up on left hand.I do same thing with small guns I have big hands I pull to much on bottom of the grip with left hand.

4. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Hmmm. Interesting!! I'll definitely try both your ideas....I was actually thinking the way I'm holding the gun could be the prob....of course I just got the gun 3 days ago so I'm sure it's all a matter of getting use to it. I had to do the same thing with my Taurus raging bull 44 mag....I bought the snap caps for that and that helped me tremendously

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

There are a couple possibilities.
    Trigger pull: Have you tried shooting it off of a sandbag? Try taking some of the human factor out of the equation and see if you see any improvement. I have an XD40SC and when I go to it after shooting a non striker gun, it takes a few shots to settle in. I will typically yank a few low while adjusting. You may also want to see if another experienced shooter has the same issues when he shoots it.
    Ammo: Lighter, higher velocity bullets will often shoot lower. If you are shooting whatever 115 gr practice ammo you can get cheap, that may be a contributor. Consider trying some 124 or 147 gr ammo and see if it changes things any.

6. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

You may try this target analysis chart.

Attached Files:

7. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Crazycharlie....I've never seen a chart like that!!! Very interesting. I am on the other shooting the federal champion FMJ 115gr...$20/100 rds. Looking at the chart, it could be possible that my wrist/s are breaking downward a tad. Thanks for the info. Btw, why is it that 115gr bullets could be a contributing factor?

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

They could simply shoot low in your gun. At close ranges, heavier bullets tend to shoot to a higher point of impact. I make no promises as to this being your issue, just that it might be worth trying heavier bullet.
    Not sure about XDs, but I have been told that CZ's fixed sights are set up for a 124 gr load. In which case, a 115 gr load MAY shoot slightly low.

9. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

I don't want to sound condescending if you are an experienced shooter, but there is a simple test I give to new shooters who shoot low:

Remove ammo from mag. and clear the chamber
    Insert empty mag. in gun and allow the slide to return forward, simulating a live load.
    With the hammer cocked and ready to dry fire, take aim, and with the full concentration you would grant to a live round, pull the trigger.
    If the gun dips down, the shooter was compensating for recoil

10. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Better yet, have a friend load the mag, but only load a few in it. The amount should not be known to the shooter. Then begin to shoot.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Mix live rounds with snap caps in the mag.

This will show if the shooter is the problem and force the shooter to work on weapon clearing / malfunction clearing.

12. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

After I posted my comment, I figured the slide would probably still be back if the mag was empty, (I've never fired that weapon,) so the snap cap makes more sense.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  13. utf59

utf59 New Member

You're standing too far away! :D

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Seriously, though, have you tried shooting closer? And have you tried letting a friend shoot the gun also?

Anticipating recoil does seem like the most likely culprit. If you don't have snap caps, you can have a friend watch you shoot, and he may be able to see you dip the gun just before you break the shot. Another symptom of anticipating recoil is that on some range sessions, your first two or three rounds will be right on target (before the recoil starts affecting you) and then they'll drop.

Good luck!

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

XD's are sighted for a six o'clock "hold" from the factory. Meaning it should actually shoot high, compared with the actual point of aim.

If your gun sights are still set as they left the factory, it should be shooting a couple inches "high".

Shoot it rested and see what kind of consistency the groups have. It's the only real way to identify what is actually happening. If it groups consistently from a rest, the problem is the shooter. If not, you now have a starting point to consider sights/ammo/etc.

15. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Well I do know one thing when I was shooting at the range, when I tried shooting (not realizing I had just emptied the mag) the gun did dip when i tried firing. So with that being said and after going on utube to watch how to properly hold a semi auto pistol, I'm going to try a different technique......the thumb forward grip. Todd Jarret explained in a couple different videos the benefits of this grip. Very informational

16. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I was going to say that it could be so many different little things that it's crazy.

All I can offer you that no one else has thus far is to slowly squeeze the trigger until it fires the gun and "scares" you. Don't make the gun fire, let the gun fire!

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

17. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Good point Brennan....and that is one of the most basic things to keep in mind which is very easy to forget when shooting. Thznks

18. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

You're welcome

19. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Brennan....took your advice and tried squeezing the trigger slowly...seemed to help. But I also found put that I have to aim right on at 10 yards to hit the bull vs holding at 6:00. That still might be me though.

20. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

Glad it helped. I try to help as much as possible. I'm not an instructor but have helped a few people here and there.