Shooting lead in Glocks

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by coachclark, Feb 2, 2013.

1. coachclark

coachclark New Member

I was talking to a guy the other day about reloading handgun ammo. He mentioned that I should not use lead in my Glock 26 because it can burn the barrel up? Is that true? I have only used UMC covered lead ammo up until this point. I have shot about a 150 rounds through it.

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

That is correct with the polygonal rifling that Glocks use lead reloads should not be shot from them. It should tell you that in the manual.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Bare lead bullets should not be used in stock Glock barrels because of the polygonal rifling that Glock uses. It can build lead up more quickly and cause dangerous pressure spikes. It doesn't "burn up" the barrel but can contribute to blowing up a barrel.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot lead you can get a barrel with cut rifling and enjoy saving money on ammo over time.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Glock becomes a "Kaboom" shooting lead.

Attached Files:

6. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I've had my G30 over 10 years, and the single malfunction I had in that time was a reload lead tip that jammed. Never again thereafter with lead, never had any other malfunction

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Also a glock has a unsupported chaimber. This leads to what is known as the glock bulge. This will extremely shorten the life of your brass. To fix this problem and the problem with using non jacketed bullets. You will need to purchase an aftermarket barrel.

8. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

yup lbwar hit it on the head.

get a $100 aftermarket barrel and you can shoot exposed lead rounds.
    but really, this is mainly for reloaders who cast their own bullets for their rounds.

9. coachclark

coachclark New Member

Thanks guys have not shot it but now I know.

10. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Most likely^^^Double charged reload..

Most glock "Shooters" go this route.

^^^We can shoot cheap that way...Bill.;)

11. 1911love

1911love New Member

No lead though HK USP's as well, poly rifling.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I am not 100% on the facts of this. I have not looked into it myself. But I have heard you can shoot lead through a HK USP. They do something a little different than glock with there poly rifling.

13. 207driver

207driver New Member

Balderdash!

Kabooms are not limited to Glocks. There can be many, many reasons for any kaboom.

I shoot lots and lots of home cast lead bullets through my G-20 with no fear of kabooms. In fact the leading in my stock barrel is minimal.

Now who's loading a bored out 9mm (AKA 40 S&W) to the SAMI limits of the 9mm, and beyond? All I can say is good luck, and don't blame the manufacturer if something goes bad.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Should not dicker with owners manuals, and experienced gunsmiths.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

No this was not a double charge. This is a common condition resulting from firing lead bullets.:eek:

16. msup752

msup752 New Member

I blew up my G21 shooting lead through the factory barrel. It cracked the chamber and shredded the magazine.
    It was not a double charge. About 100 lead rounds fired through without cleaning and bang!

17. redscho

redscho New Member

Shooting lead in your Glock? Simple solution. Get a Wolf barrel with conventional rifling . Drops right in, no fitting required.

Attached Files:

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Please exercise caution when advocating something the manufacturer specifically warns you NOT to do. Unjacketed bullets in a Glock are a BAD idea. Will it blow your gun up? Maybe, maybe not. Just not worth the possibility when Glock specifically warns you to not do so.

HK does not warn against unjacketed lead in their polygonaly rifled pistols. The theory I have heard is the problem actually lies in the throat. The Glock throat builds lead.

19. beltor

beltor New Member

So is it safe to use the Hornady HP or the FMJ in a factory glock.

20. beltor

beltor New Member

That was the Hornady bullets for reloading