Shooting in Florida at Nexus..........

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by winds-of-change, Jun 4, 2013.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know you are all probably sick of my vacation photos. I'll get off this vacation high soon enough. I have to work tonight. But here's photo diary of shooting at Nexus with Cane and his handguns.

I believe this was the final selection of handguns we brought to shoot.

[​IMG]

But we got crazy laying out the guns and ended up displaying them all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Including the Colt 1911 Anniversary edition. This pistol has never been shot or touched by human hands. Notice the love in Cane's eyes. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. winds-of-change

Cane showing me how he turkey hunts. "Head shots. You don't want the pellets in the meat."

[​IMG]

The Queen of the Cane household. You should see how this little cat has Cane wrapped around her paw. So funny. Adds new meaning to "kitty whipped". :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

OMG!!! Cane even has a BAN t-shirt! I'm doomed! :)

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wait...
    He let you put his FACE on the forum? He's been very careful to edit that any time photos come up.

Not like it matters though. He looks exactly as I figured he would. I could have done an extremely accurate police sketch from imagination alone.

5. winds-of-change

We're packed and ready to go. Pengie did most of the heavy lifting.

[​IMG]

Getting ready to shoot The Canebrake. We get to the range and Cane asks me, "Which do you want to shoot first?" I just gave him a look. He knew exactly what I meant.

[​IMG]

Cane loading the mag for me.

[​IMG]

The results of the shooting of The Canebrake by both Cane and I. Since we both shot low and to the left, I think the sights need to be adjusted a little. :cool:

[​IMG]

The two Tuxedos.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  6. winds-of-change

No, you didn't see the whole shirt. It says "Bacon". I'll try to get a better photo.

It says "Ba Co N" as in Barium, Cobalt and Nitrogen.

[​IMG]

I asked him if I could. He now works at a public gun range and has "Cane" on his name badge. Seriously. He said I could. But in a panic I am texting him and asking him again.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ah!!! Okay then.

Really, I thought it was pretty cool the way he did the swirly pinch editing thing to his face. Looked like the results of an atomic lemon.

8. winds-of-change

The tuxedo target. Both of us shooting.

[​IMG]

Second only to The Canebrake, the gun circled in red was my favorite gun to shoot. It was a 9 mm. Though the grips were rough on my supporting hand. I 'manned up' and shot through the pain. The gun circled in blue was the Dirty Harry .44 Magnum. That one kicked my butt and there was no 'manning up' with that thing. It was fierce. I only shot 4 rounds of the .44 magnum until I gave up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  9. winds-of-change

I am not a good historian and I can't remember which targets went to which guns but I think, looking at the size of the holes, this might have been after we had fun with the .22. I think we did pretty good.

[​IMG]

I think this target is the result of The Pengie shooting the .9 mm I liked so much. That little bird is a good shot, isn't he?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Balota, as you can see, there were no red circles laughing at me this time at the range. :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. winds-of-change

I had many questions, as usual, and the next morning we sat across the table from each other and I got a few good lessons. But first, this is the view from the kitchen table at the Canebrake Hilton. There were butterflies, birds and lizards in these palms. And just a few short yards beyond these palms was a little lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we started taking the 1911's apart and I learned about internal and external extractors. How they work and how to adjust an internal extractor. I learned the difference between striker fired and hammer fired. We also discussed "the meaning of life" for a while, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, springs do not go flying everywhere when Cane takes a gun apart. They do when I take a gun apart. :( And I almost had a panic attack when he started taking two 1911's apart at the same time. He knows what he's doing but I would never attempt that.

11. winds-of-change

Also, Cane stores his firearms in something called a "Bore Store". They are pouches imbedded with silicone to help keep your firearm rust free. I will be buying one for each of my four handguns. They are very reasonably priced. And after seeing Cane's range bag from Midway, I decided I needed a new one that can accommodate my firearms. I bought the one I'm using now when I had only one revolver. It's not big enough any more. I also saw one of these at Nexus that I think I want, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-SpeedVault-SV500-gun-safe/dp/B006OGNLKA

12. winds-of-change

I want to publicly thank Cane for such a good weekend. I had fun, lots of laughs, great friendship, wonderful conversations, delicious food, comfy lodgings, fun shooting and great experiences. Thank you so much.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...Cane's a CAT lover! WOW! :eek:

I never would have called that one.

Tack

14. orangello

orangello New Member

That sounds like a great range trip!

Nice kitty too!

15. winds-of-change

Cats........dogs.........Cane likes them all. He's a softie when it comes to critters. Go ahead. Ask his wife. ROFLMAO ;)

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm glad to hear you had a good time in Florida.

(When are you moving down?)

17. winds-of-change

Well, I can swirl his face out if you think he looks better that way.

Why should I move down there when I can enjoy Florida and mooch off Cane anytime I want? :cool:

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I didn't say better...
    Just interesting.

19. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Great photos. Nice experience. Fantastic vacation. However, for me it was Knee Surgery time. And that ain't fun. :( But I'm battle-proof. Can't wait to get back to the range. Just picked up an SKS :)

20. winds-of-change

I so wish I could have met you, too. Heal well, my friend. You know my thoughts are with you.