Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
I brought home some impact gloves from the mine I was working at a few years ago. They have gel in the palms and fingers are designed to absorb the vibration of air powered jack legg drills similar to a jack hammer.
Any way when I shoot over about 20 rounds through my model 29 the wood grips make my right hand hand sting a little.The gloves absorb it all and no sting.I could just put some ugly rubber grips on it but don't need to with the impact gloves.
I forgot the brand name on them but they look and fit like mechanics gloves.Just have gel packs.

Can't stand gloves. The only time I use them is for refinishing wood. I use medical gloves for that. I cant even wear gloves while hunting. I can start out with a pair but they end up in my pocket after a short time.

For heavy recoil handguns, gloves can help at the range if they are padded. I've shot my Smith Titanium Airlite Ti with a pair of Hatch Shorty padded gloves. Some of the gloves are made of Kangaroo leather. I also have two pair of GripSwell Driving and Shooting Gloves. They're "classier" for gentleman type shooters.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Vehicle Car

I personally use Mechanix M-pact. They work really well with AR's and rifles. With a pistol they've got enough dexterity that you can (with some difficulty) load a pistol mag and shoot. For me the trigger pull on my handgun feels longer every time I wear gloves, but I get used to that after a bit.

Attachments

I have used them in the military and over seas but not for padding but because anything metal like your rifle you touch will burn you, also back in the states if it's snowing I'll wear some thin pilot gloves. In my personal life I have never had the need to wear them and I think it's kinda tacky like socks and sandals. I have yet to encounter a gun that recoils hard enough to even begin to warrant gloves. Then again I have not gone out of my way to shoot a S&W 500 because I don't feel the need to pay that much to shoot a silly round.

Who uses them and which do you use if you do? Tried them and don't like them?

I have a .44mag that might benefit from some gloves. Especially with the full loads.
No gloves.

I want to have one memory grip, the one I will have when I pull out a concealed firearm and won't be wearing gloves.

For several months, I was shooting about 300 rounds of max load .44mag from an 8" Mod 29 the first half of Saturdays and Sundays, out at the desert. I'd then in the afternoons shoot about 200 rounds of moderate to hot .357mag from my Model 27, an 8" model. Pachmayr grips were enough, no gloves necessary.

When I shoot my Charter Arms 3" Bulldog, I will put a few bandaids across the web of my hand since the gun tends to bite the skin there.

I like gloves but not for shooting.

If I was a deer hunter, I might consider it. Otherwise.....

Paul......

Except for the .357...heavy shootin' irons for EDC.

If that was meant for me.....

I mentioned the .44mag since someone had suggested gloves when shooting the Model 29. I have smaller hands than some but felt no such need.

It was not for EDC- I had intended to go boar hunting so I went to the desert every weekend, shooting those 300 or so rounds every weekend morning to get used to shooting it.

I ended up not going up north [Northern California] to shoot boar but got to the point where I could hit a running rabbit at 85 meters.

The Model 27 with its 8 and 3/8ths barrel was just another gun to shoot those days. After a morning of shooting .429, the Model 27 felt almost like a pop gun.

In the Army the say 'train like you fight' and since I don't walk around with gloves on, I don't want to practice with them although, as I said, extended shooting of that dang .44spcl Bulldog does require some padding or I lose skin.

Paul

@Paul. Yes, I was excepting the less powerful pistol from the gloves. I have four pair but rarely use them. Two Hatch and two GripSwell. The GripSwell are really for driving. I use one Hatch "Shorty" rappelling glove when I shoot (rarely) the S&W .38 Spl. +P Titanium Airlite Ti Model 342. It only weighs 11.3 Oz empty so all the energy goes into the hand. The Hatch glove is padded in the palm area. I don't EDC gloves except in the winter.

@Paul.
I have four pair but rarely use them. Two Hatch and two GripSwell. The GripSwell are really for driving. I use one Hatch "Shorty" rappelling glove when I shoot (rarely) the S&W .38 Spl. +P Titanium Airlite Ti Model 342. It only weighs 11.3 Oz empty so all the energy goes into the hand. The Hatch glove is padded in the palm area. I don't EDC gloves except in the winter.
Hi, thanks for the note.

I have noted the gloves you described....maybe in the future it will be the right thing for me to be doing.

Paul.......

Padded. Unpadded. I guess it is like Boxers or Jockeys or going naked. If you need gloves, you'll know it. But basically for recoil its only one glove for the strong hand for recoil displeasure.

Gloves are for girls. Let me introduce you to my Ruger Vaquero with a 325 grain.45 Colt flat nose bear load. :)
My Ruger Super Black Hawk with "10.4 mm" hand loads. The pachyderm or Pachymer grips leaves rubber in my hands.
I've been savoring one of those Big stainless S&W .500 loads and optional wheel kit and perhaps someone to shoot it for me. A fishing trip or a gun, that is the question.
I sure would like some good shooting glovees and perhaps some larger hands.
The padded ones I sampled in the long ago didn't allow much grip on the gun.
Perhaps it is in how they configure one properly, some padding on middle finger outside to keep daisy from bruising my middle finger so bad, and just some tough and soft material to keep the web of the hand from trying to stretch to fit a basketball when the gun rolls in recoil, and the heal of the hand and the little finger.
I have shopped for shooting gloves locally, withing 100 miles that is, and no one stock any. Got to try them before I buy.
I see some good reports on some in posts above just got to go to where they sell the and try them on.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.