Shooting for Fun?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by RustyShackleford101, Jun 16, 2012.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I Know it's very vital to train for self defense, competition, ect, but who else likes to shoot guns for the simple pleasure of shooting guns?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

oh ofcourse. sometimes you just need to hear the bang and smell the burnt powder.. id say once or twice a year i grab a couple guns that are just to have fun with. a semi .22 and a mosin. maybe an ak, m1garand or mauser

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Thing goes bang and and something gets destroyed. What's not to like? Full auto fire is my equivalent to a one week trip to Disney land.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i regularly shoot them for fun. even my SD shooting practice is enjoyable, but the 22 rifle and pistol were bought pretty much for fun and informal target shooting with my father. i enjoy shooting period, so anytime behind the trigger for me is fun!

5. Kenney

Kenney New Member

You learn to shoot better under 3 circumstances.
    1. Familiarity. It's hard to handle a gun you have no idea about. That's why people love 1911s and Glocks because once you've tried one, the rest a really the same.
    2. Proper form and procedure. Everything from stance to dealing with that bang at the end of the muzzle is needed.
    3. Just flat out practice. If the muscle memory isn't there then you'll never be able to draw in half a second and down three guys by the end of it. The other two help big time but a guy who's played with guns on a daily basis for 15 years without a day of formal training will always outshoot the COD punk who's parents payed for extensive weapons training on the weekend.

All of these are a lot easier to accomplish if you go out back everyday and maim the latest coke bottle with a 22 conversion kit and an evil smile on your face.

6. kycol

kycol New Member

I do! Love to watch can jump around. Love to just shoot from hip and instinct shooting. And also the carefully aimed target shooting. Just depends on the mood.

7. Axxe55

another area iwould like to get into is Cowboy shooting, strictly for fun. a couple of SAA Colt style pistols in 44-40 or 45 Colt, just for the fun of it.:D

8. kycol

kycol New Member

Yeh I've thought about that a few times. Saw a 13 year old boy the other day who is 3 rd in the nation. He was incredible.

9. Axxe55

nope! have no desire to compete! already spend too much on my gun hobbies as it is. just want a couple for shooting in the backyard for the fun and to remember my childhood days of the cowboy cap pistols!

now i wouldn't mind going to some of those SASS type shoots and watching. that would be fun.

10. RustyShackleford101

Man I am glad to see responses in in such a short time. I was beginning to think that the art of plinking was dying.

11. Axxe55

Rusty, it's alive and well! done on a regular basis here at my home.:D

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a lot of fun playing with the laser on the M&P 15-22 at 10 yards. I had to get one of my spinners re welded after we shot one of the flippers off. Necco Wafers make great targets.

13. RustyShackleford101

I remember when I was just a little'un. I turned 13in 1995, when the assault weapons ban was enacted. I lived in upstate NY. My daddy got me a ruger 10/22. When I got it, it was my first semi auto. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, 10 rounds could be gone in like 2 seconds. I loved that gun and I still have it. I only use 10 rounders in that particular gun, it just doesn't feel right to use anything else. I'm actually glad I was restricted to 10 rounders as a child so I can appreciate what I've got.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My 13 year old son and I went out yesterday. He was shooting his 10/22. I was shooting my Model 60. That is just some great father and son time. We even found some printable Zombie targets on the internet. That is a blast shooting at a 8 1/2 x 11 zombie at 100 yards.

15. RustyShackleford101

Sounds like fun! I love that kids are getting into it. When mine get old enough you better believe I'm gonna have them shooting.

16. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I shoot for fun all the time. Im not a "tactical" person. I work on improving accuracy but it's always a fun time.

17. RustyShackleford101

Yeah same thing, hell, I have NEVER shot a gun end not enjoyed myself.

18. Axxe55

Rusty, a bad day of shooting still beats a good day at work! unless your job is shooting guns!

19. RustyShackleford101

Man I wish that was my job! I've really been thinking about a gun career. I dont want to be a gunsmith or nothing. I've drawn up a few designs, but I do t have the resources to make anything. I'd share them but I don't have any copyrights or anything so I guess I won't.

20. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Who doesn't have a great time shooting??? Steel paper rocks or beer cans are all awesome.