Shooting CZ P07 and Beretta Px4 side by side

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SSGN_Doc, Sep 30, 2017.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Near the beginning of the year I had decided I was going to try returning to carrying a DA/SA compact handgun. I had been carrying a Glock 19 or 26 for the majority of my carry time for the last decade or more. I was looking heavily into switching to appendix carry as well, which was a factor in wanting to return to DA/SA pistols.

After carrying a Glock for so long, I have become comfortable with polymer frames in my carry pistols. Having experience with the Beretta 92FS, (my first semi-auto after I turned 21 back in 1992, and 24 years in the Navy.), and the Sig 226 family, I knew I liked the idea of a decocker, but not so, much the idea of a slide mounted one that also worked as a safety. Having a decocker on the slide doesn't bother me because activating it is a very deliberate thing that I would only be doing once I'm done shooting and am breaking my shooting grip anyway.

As I explored my options I really narrowed things down to two compact polymer handguns, the Beretta Px4 Storm Compact ad the CZ P07. I happened across a pretty epic length thread on Earnest Langdon's work with Beretta to combine the right factory parts from Beretta with some after market parts to make the compact a more ideal carry pistol. (Low profile levers which are decock only, reduced power hammer spring, competition trigger group, Ameriglo night sight with orange surrounded front sight, and some grip texture from Talon Grip and a layer of Cerakote on the slide.)

I also ran across info on Mike Pannone and his experiences with the P07 from CZ.

I ended up going with the Beretta first, mostly because I found one available first. I bought it around the end of March and went about installing some of the upgraded parts. (I didn't put in the competition trigger group or use the Talon Grip, and plan on wearing out the factory slide finish before upgrading to another tougher finish). Since that time I ran probably close to 600 rounds through it before I began keeping a logged round count. The logged round count is up to 1,850. The pistol has been reliable accurate and very shootable with an easy to operate slide and gentle recoil impulse. The curvature of the rear of the slide and rounded grip make it less likely to print under clothing and pretty comfortable to carry without getting gouged.

[​IMG]

Fast forward a few months from my Px4 purchase and I came across a P07 in a local gun shop that was marked used, but had no indication whatsoever that it had been fired since leaving the factory. It was marked at $389 and I couldn't leave it in the guns shop display case at that price. The P07 has accompanied me on a few range trips along with the Px4 as I practiced a few drills. The P07 points naturally, the sightly heavier weight and somewhat more front heavy weight distribution helps with recoil management, but it does seem to have a bit more muzzle rise than the Px4 as I track the front sight. However, it comes back onto target pretty fast as well. The trigger is less refined out of the box than the Beretta was. There are detectible stacks and stages throughout the pull that the Beretta just doesn't have. On the other side of that though the P07 has a slightly longer but more easily felt reset, if you are working on resetting under recoil for faster follow up shots, as I found out when running some cadence drills side by side. Also, the less refined trigger doesn't seem to stop me from getting good hits that keep up with the Beretta very well. round count on the P07 is just up over 500.

[​IMG]

So, where does that leave me with an opinion on these two pistols? I have to say I'm torn. Both pistols perform very well, point naturally, are inherently accurate, can be found at good prices and do not seem to disappoint. I feel like I have two great DA/SA handguns that are well suited to carry use and would both perform well when the chips are down. I do need more time with the P07 but it did not take me long to have it running as an equal to the Px4. If you are in the market for a compact (mid-size) carry pistol in the DA/SA style I don't think you would go wrong with either.

[​IMG]

2. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

Flip a coin at this point. :) Interesting you left striker fired to go with two hammer fired pistols.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The move to DA/SA and Decocker was partly because of going to appendix carry as well. Since it was a new carry mode I liked the idea of an extra layer of safety when holstering.
    I didn't completely rule out striker guns. I have a Canik TP9V2 which is a DA/SA striker fired pistol with Decocker. It is a bit on the larger side throughit the grip and may be ok for winter carry. If I can find a Walther P99 AS it might be a better fit because it is essentially the same design but with a shorter grip (15 round capacity vs. 18).

4. armoredman

armoredman Active Member

The P07 is a great Czoice. Thanks for the read, much appreciated!