Shooting Cheap

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by GatorDude, Nov 24, 2009.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

This economy has me being a cheapskate. I've picked up a couple of BB guns and I'm going to try those for my shooting fix. I was really pleased by a Crosman Powermaster 66 kit that I picked up. It came with targets, shooting glasses, a scope, and ammunition, and the airgun for less than $50.

Here are some other tips that I put together for shooters trying to save money in this economy:

Shooting For Cheap: Seven Ways for Shooters to Save Money- Associated Content

How are you guys saving money with your shooting hobby?

2. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I shoot .22LR for cheap shooting.
    Also 12ga. shotgun shells, although they just went up (hunting season) I can pickup 100 shells (Federal or Winchester) for 22 bucks. Just recently at the local range the owner was selling boxes of 25 count of 12ga. & 20ga. for $3.50 per box. I stocked up to say the least.

3. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Believe it or not, a wrist-rocket (slingshot) is a lot of fun to shoot. My wife and I had a blast one afternoon in the backyard..

4. User Name

User Name New Member

+1! Slingshots can be alot of fun. Ammo is also cheap, its laying all over the ground. (rocks)

5. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i will attempt to fill my fix with a legal .177 rws model....and 1500 pellets for about $25.

until i get my foi card.

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

I shoot more .22lr than anything else so I guess that is my way of shooting cheaper.

OC

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I am enjoying a used pellet gun i got this year. It is cheap to shoot, and i can shoot in my backyard without bothering anyone or getting the cops called on me (HUGE +). I also hate crapping in the woods, so shooting from the back porch can be handy. :D

8. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I Have a crossman BB/pellet and a Gamo hunter pellet both in .177(+1 on the shooting in city limits and poopin' inside) and a wrist rocket (not really legal in NY but ....) and shoot the 22 some also.I leave the larger sizes for when we get a bunch of guys together out in the country and make a day of it.VIVA LA SHOOTFEST!!!!!!

9. Motodeficient

Motodeficient New Member

Yeah I love shooting my ruger 10/22. And at $.03 per round, its cheap enough!

10. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Hey Brick, You gotta be kidding me.. Wrist rockets not legal in NY ?..
    That's even worse than Commiefornia..

My vote is still with slingshot ! Glass marbles make great ammo. Pachinko balls. Even ball bearings out of C.V. joints. Forget the rocks ! They have a tendancy to curve. Kinda' like shooting a cheap paintball rifle..

11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Shooting? What is that - I am busy from work, mandatory fitness before / after work, school and come home to do some of the honey do list tasks! :eek: Not time for a smooth beer lately!

12. flyingbrickracing

Yep,Not allowed to have one,so nobody tell on me ,ok?
    Stores are not allowed to sell them and mail order will not ship to NY.I was at my favorite gunshop/sporting goods store when a guy came in looking for one and he was told the charge for having one is the same as having a switch blade.I don't know if thats true,but it's still a dangerous weapons charge.
    As for ammo,I have 3-4 thousand 3/8 steel balls used for rebuilding the bearings in truck transmissions,the shop where I work was cleaning out and tossed them,hey,one mans trash..............;)

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've still got my 760 pumpmaster that was given to me as a kid, 20 some years ago. Maybe I should break it out.

14. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I've got a slingshot too. That might have to come with me next time I walk the dog. I'd like to take the BB gun outside, but I'm not sure where to go shooting. As a 40+ year old guy, people will assume that I'm a disgruntled office worker or something if they see me with a rifle... :D

15. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

+1 - and something you should consider keeping in your BOB, too ;)

16. OC357

OC357 New Member

A slingshot is not legal in NY??

OC

17. flyingbrickracing

18. OC357

OC357 New Member

Ok got ya. We used the terms interchangably as kids and that was a long time ago. We always had them as kids and nobody ever said anything. They are different.

Shooting cheap for me is 22lr. and there is pleanty of places to shoot safely here.

OC

19. Walley

Walley New Member

For me shooting cheap is when I can con someone into paying for the ammo when I am sighting in their rifles for them or when they ask me to find out why their guns don’t have a good pattern. That is one of the benefits of being an old man; people seem to think you have all the answers. How wrong they are.

20. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I picked up a wrist rocket a couple of months ago to get my shooting fix on those times when I just can't get to the range or boonies. What a blast and a whole new skill set to learn. I hadn't shot one of those since I was a kid and it doesn't cost an arm & leg. I thought about trying archery, but I suffered sticker shock at the prices of bows. :eek: