Shooting Bench

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Crazycastor, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I'm making a shooting bench out of metal, I wanted a heavy solid foundation for some long range shooting. I figured Ii would post some picture of the build as I go along. It's my first shooting table to make so I'm guessing on the hight of the top. Good thing working with metal if its to tall or to short I can cut and weld to fit. Its going to have 3 legs, thinking this would be easier to stabilize then 4. Also the seat will be adjustable to go up and down and closer or farther from the bench.

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Castor, just wanted to follow along with your build.

i agree, that three legs are usually much easier to stabilize than four. they are more forgiving on uneven ground if the bench is going to be portable or moveable.

3. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Thanks, go figure everyone leaves when you need their help the most but I managed to get the legs braces on. All the corner will be rounded off.

Attached Files:

4. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

If you noticed I didn't weld on the threads of the pipe. I'm planning to be able to put the shooting rest braces inside the pipe and any hardware like bolts, pins etc.

Attached Files:

5. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

The corners of the braces will be rounded off. They are made to fold up on to the pipe when transporting it or storing it. The height right now is 41 inches and the legs are 31 inches long. Might be too tall but if it is I'll cut some of the pipe off and make it shorter. I will do that after everything has been done and have a couple of opinions on the height from different shooters perspective.

Attached Files:

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Looks like a good project have fun and good luck.

7. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

This what I've managed to get done today due to company coming over. Its starting to take shape.

Attached Files:

8. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Looks like a great project. I may be doing something similar.

9. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

If you do T, make sure to use grade 8 bolts. I shear one today and ended up on the floor bouncing on it to test my welds. (Cheap bolts), I'm planning on using pins for easier and fast set up.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just looking at it it doesn't look like that configuration will support a medium weight man and still be stable. Have you been putting weight on it as yoy progress?

11. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea Viking I've been bouncing all over this thing trying to get something to break on me. I weigh 230 and have managed to shear a bolt. When you sit on it, it squats down just about a half inch and then it becomes really solid. You can't make the top sway at all. But I'm not finished with my bracing yet. The legs and seat are thick square tubing.

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Working on the top. Everything is still in the mock up stage. The front of the plywood will have braces to the middle pole to stop any bouncing after the shot. My brother who is 6'2" thinks the hight is perfect. I'm not so sure.

Attached Files:

13. Axxe55

looking good so far Caster! :D

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You shooting bench rest shotgun?:p

15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Plagiarize, let no one else's work evade your eyes.

Go look at what is commercially available. Sit at as many as you can. Then incorporate the best features of the ones you liked.

Benches have been evolving for decades and they keep changing.

I knew a guy whose idea of a portable bench was a pickup with tube bumpers and trailer jacks on all four corners with a bench hard mounted in the bed. He could whack prairie dogs out to about 400-yds very effectively.

16. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

It will reast a shotgun for sure. And yep shooting benchs continue to change. I'm pretty sure the next one I make will change also. But so far this one is coming together as planned and is super stable as it is.

17. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Just a little grinding to clean up some edges, add the front brace and paint the tables and she'll be ready to test

Attached Files:

18. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Well the shooting bench is done, ready to test when the weather is right. So far everyone loves it and wants one now. Spent right at $100 bucks on it. The pictures just don't do it justice.

Attached Files:

19. Axxe55

very nice job Castor! looks great. :D