Shooting bench

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by carbon15man, Sep 15, 2012.

1. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

So I just built this today what do you guys think?

image-2435344065.jpg

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

NICE! very nice! good job and you should get lots of use out of it.:D

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Solid top? It doesn't snow where you live?

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I think it looks great. I like the wide stance on the forward legs.

Hope the OSB holds up.

5. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

Well I'm in north Carolina so it doesn't snow that much and I used left over material from the new chicken house we jus made built

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I would expect he's going put more than a couple of coats something on it. Maybe some marine concoction..

7. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

Yea like I said it was left over stuff from the chicken house I'll put something on it but I'm not expecting for it to last forever a year or so until I build my range and build a bench to use forever

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

It looks like a HEAVY stable table, but maybe you can tilt it up on a couple of cinder blocks when you're not using it so's the rain & melt can run right off it.

9. vincent

vincent New Member

I love threads like this! Great job, looks like it'll work well for ya...

What do you have in mind for the range? Distance? Handgun/rifle/shotgun/all of the above?

10. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

I'll prolly go out to about 200 yards I don't need too much and I'll shoot the 10/22 at 100 the ar out to 200 and all the other larger caliber guns I don't shoot to often so no need to try to really stretch them out

11. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

I'm putting wheels on the front two legs tomo to move it around bc it's pretty heavy so there's 2 inches but im prolly gonna keep it in the shop u see in the back ground and wheel it out and shoot from there til I get a range

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Looks pretty sweet. Hope it works out well for you.

13. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Looks like nice work! I prefer a movable seat as it helps me adjust for hight of rest / bi-pod and fluctuations in my own comfort, but I'm sure the solidity of your design has its own benefits. Enjoy!

14. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve also been contemplating a shooting bench design. The one at our fish & game club was a chain sawed picnic table. It didn’t have wheels, so people dragged it around. It finally gave up the ghost this past month. I found heavy metal wheels in our local farmers supply store that would stand to be left outside.

I remember seeing a round metal seat that was adjusted by spinning it around a large metal screw like a piano stool. Has anybody seen anything like this anywhere? Where?

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I made a quick shooting bench from scrap myself.

I had saved the cut-offs from building my deck. I used the Trex cutoffs for the table top.

The treated lumber and trex has held up well in the PNW rains..

16. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

There's several still made. Cheap enough to cannibalize the seat and strut to integrate into your own frame.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60155602/

Bench looks great, btw! If anything throw a little cushion on the ply seats to make it a little more comfy for shooting.

17. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Brilliant Idea for vertical changes but sometimes I want to alter whether I'm more to the side or more directly behind the rifle, not just vertical changes. Still a good idea to use one of those style stools.

18. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Get a used office swivel chair. You can do the same thing with it. They are cheap and available. Piano stools are not cheap and hard to find.