Shooting Bags

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by RSilvernail79, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RSilvernail79

RSilvernail79 New Member

Hey guys I just ordered some shooting bags and I apparently did not realize they came empty. What does everyone recommend I fill them with?

Thank you!

RGS

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

RGS,

I had my wife make me some from some Camo Material I purchased from Walmart. I wanted something light to carry since I also use them for Deer Hunting up in the stand during season.
    So I designed the size of the bag to fit a large plastic bag of rice from the grocery store. Leaving the rice in the plastic bags placed the rice bags in the new shooting bags and had her sew them up. At the present they are three years old and going strong. I use them on my shooting bench as well as for hunting. It depends of course on how large and what dimension your bags are if this technique would work or not. I also can carry them very easily anywhere I want. I have a large shoestring with a cinch loop on each end. I simply place the the first bag in the middle of the loop and cinch it snug. Put one on the other bag and hang them over my shoulder or around my neck when carrying or climbing up into the stand.
    Inexpensive and works well. Some guys also do the same with a bag of beans from the grocery! I could have had my wife sew short straps with rings on each of the bags and had a strap with a snap hook on each end. Maybe next time! :)

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I also use rice but there are other things. Some use shot or sand but that is heavy. Great if you are not carrying them around. Air soft BB's work too and are very light. I used to carry a Styrofoam bead filled camo seat when I hunted. Doubled as a shooting bag and sure beat sitting on a bare stump or rock.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Larger caliber, longer range, bigger X scope ---> heavier rest. I'd fill it with shot for sighting in anyway, might save you ammo. Then play by ear.

5. JTJ

I do have 3 range bags filed with sand but they are heavy. Ok when you are going just a few feet from the car to the bench. the bags on my Caldwell rests and rear bags are filled with rice. I can squeeze the rear bag to make small adjustments.

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

You can use bird sand from a pet store, Petsmart or Petco.

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

Sand (could not resist)

8. JTJ

Dont you need to filter that first?:D

9. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Use that super lightweight kitty litter....

10. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Active Member

Walmart has small bags of small plastic balls in the fabric section that will be enough to fill your bag.
    Lightweight and water resistant.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Kitty litter is what I prefer to use. It's cheap,and doesn't break down easily.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Here is what I use, you can make em out of different size tubes filled with sand or kitty litter..........

Attached Files:

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Mine came filled from a Big Box store(Big 5)...

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Guess it depends on how heavy you think you need. I personaly gave up on a sand bag for a front rest 30 years ago and bought something like a Rock Rifle Rest. Its more adjustable , stays put and does not sag as you shot. Lighter than all but foam pellets too.

15. DrFootball

I need a good front rest that can double as a Pistol rest. MTM has one that looks like it fits the bill, but I also saw ones that run $300 and up!

16. Mule659

Mule659 New Member

I mainly use sand, I think it offers the best rest. But for weight saving shredded polyurethane works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

DrFootball I use my adjustable rifle rest as a handgun rest for the last 36 years. Not as likely to blow holes in it like with a filled bag. Only my cm9 and snubby are a bit hard on the leather bag and I keep a piece of ole boot leather to line the pad with for short barrels. If handgun is to short of grip I lay a rear bag or block to rest the bottom of my hand on.

heres a like my old one-
    http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Shotsaver-Bench-Pistol/dp/B000W9LAWG

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  18. DrFootball

Thanks! I use a set of Bags that were about $12. Not sure where I got them. But Im thinking I need a Rest that locks...

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I just use burlap or nylon feed sacks full of corn. I put the amount of corn I can carry in the bag, then tie it up with wire. If I get careless and rip the bag open with a revolver I just feed the corn to the deer. Sunflower seeds make a great support. You can get 50 lb of sunflower seeds at Walmart at a reasonable price. Sunflower seeds are like crack to deer and squirrels.

20. JTJ

Just what we need. Deer and squirrels high on sunflower seeds. Now we will have to get bigger guns. :D
    Kidding aside, I take it the sunflower seeds are still in the shells. Do you get any moisture problems?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014