Shooting bags or bipod for 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Armadiloroadkil, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Armadiloroadkil

Armadiloroadkil New Member

I added a 3-9x40 scope to my 10/22 yesterday and had it bore sighted, but haven't been out to shoot yet. My question is, should I get a bipod or shooting bags? I have the standard wood stock carbine and I don know enough yet to be able to decide on my own. I'm guessing it'll be a personal choice issue, but I'd like to hear some pros/cons for each option.

2. kaido

kaido New Member

Personally, I would go with a Bi-pod. I've been shooting off of sand bags at my range with my mossy since I've had it (not even a month yet) and the bags are a little bit of a pain to move around.

If you plan on getting your own set a bags, it would just mean more weight to carry with you to the range, however far/close that may be. With a bi-pod, you basically grab your rifle and your set. You also have more control over the hight with a bi-pod then you do with using sand bags.

But like you said, it's also a personal choice too, so someone might take the bags over the pod.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I don't like a bi-pods as they have a limited height adjustment . Never used front sand bags much in general. I have used one adjustable front rifle rest for 30 years when shooting for accuracy. http://www.integrityoutdoorbrands.com/product/bench-rest.htm Looks like this but orange in color. But I understand how a Bi-pod would be use in a field setting for critter shooting.

4. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Fill some bags with air soft pellets. Light weight and works. You could also use rice but it is a little heavier. Sand weighs too much. You can find zipper bags at an office supply or try to get a couple of cash bags from your bank. You can get a new front band with an integral short rail and attach a bipod to it. Easy on and off. You could also screw a scope mount to the bottom of your stock for a bipod.

Attached Files:

6. KnurledNut

KnurledNut New Member

I prefer a bipod because it's always ready for use. I don't usually carry a sand bag with me.

[​IMG]

7. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

I use CAA Bipods on three of my Rifles, and they work great. Their adjustable height, and easy set-up, make for a great day at the Range.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

BB

8. cbibb

cbibb New Member

It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle. All those ideas and rigs are great and allot of good ideas also . Sand bags are better to get dialed in and shooting tightest groups possible with what ever ammo your gun likes.A bi-pod will let shots go a little high so sight in with it do to the bounce on recoil were sand bags let it move strait back like i said depends on what you are going to do . For field use I would use a bi-bod don't want to carry bags around and it is lite and easy to deploy. good luck