Firearms Talk banner

Shooting at 300 yards question.

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  big shrek 
#1 ·
There is a gun club neer by that has a 300 yard range with steel plates. Can you hear the bullet hit from that far out?

#2 ·
I would believe so, but it depends on what projectile is hitting it at what speed, and how much ear protection (db rating) the listener us wearing.

In my experience, a CCI Velocitor 22 lr load makes a very audible ring at 200 yards, with no ear protection.

#4 ·
the thickness of the steel may have an effect on the loudness of the bullet hitting it as well. possibly even the type of steel may have an effect as well.

#5 ·
I'll be using my 30.06 not sure how accurate my 9mm, 40 and 45 cal carbines will be at that distance. Im not happy with my current club. They don't keep up with rapairs on the range. Took a ride up to the one with the long range. Much better up keep and they have a separate hand gun range too.

#9 ·
If you shoot very much with no hearing protection, you won't hear much but crickets 24/7 - tininitus (however you spell it). I've heard the for decades and the loss doesn't go away. Noise-cancelling ear protection wasn't available 60 years ago when I started shooting. Each time you shoot w/o protection you lose a little hearing. Somebody smarter'n me can tell you about decibels and some of the new electronic setups "open up" fast enough to hear those long-range gongs.

Of course, one has to hit them first.

#14 · (Edited)
I was thirteen and with my best bud and his dad, we had been out shooting and back in the car. When his dad said out loud, did I get the one in the chamber? Winchester Model 70 in 270 Win. and he with no thought reached back and pulled the trigger! The answer was NO and the round tore up the seat and made a 1" hole through the door! He has long passed but I have a constant reminder! I think if it stopped now I would miss it. Having nocked out my high frequency range I seem to hear the woods sounds better than most.

#16 ·
IF the bullet is still traveling at supersonic speed on impact, then NO you cannot "hear" it coming, but upon impact, it will certainly make a sound.

With a supersonic fire, the round will arrive before the sound of the shot.

IF the shooter is using a suppressor, then the shot will arrive with ZERO secondary "boom" in the distance.

If the bullet is traveling supersonic as it passes human ears on it's way to the recipient's head, a "crack" will be heard. If the bullet is subsonic, no "crack" will be heard.

#17 ·
IF the bullet is still traveling at supersonic speed on impact, then NO you cannot "hear" it coming, but upon impact, it will certainly make a sound.

With a supersonic fire, the round will arrive before the sound of the shot.

IF the shooter is using a suppressor, then the shot will arrive with ZERO secondary "boom" in the distance.

If the bullet is traveling supersonic as it passes human ears on it's way to the recipient's head, a "crack" will be heard. If the bullet is subsonic, no "crack" will be heard.
Pretty sure the original poster, is asking from the shooters perspective, if he can hear a steel gong at 300 yds ring after hitting it with his .30-06. Not asking the targets perspective.

Most gun ranges using steel at these distances will pick something that you get some feedback from. A .30-06 usually hits hard enough to provide a good ring. The time delay from the sound of the rifle report and the sound waves traveling back to the shooter after impact will give the shooter positive feedback of a hit or not.

Range near me has 300 yd steel. I've used my .30-06 on it and can hear impacts with hearing protection on.

#20 · (Edited)
The answer YES YOU CAN! with the 30-06 rifle and most center fire rifles. You will be able to see the bullet impact on the steel as a puff of smoke and fragmentation. I am sure it will be 500-+ grade steel since they are rifle targets! Smaller caliber pistol bullets at 300 yards and with wearing non electronic muffs you might not hear them hit. But again probably see the impact if observing closely. I have shot a lot of 1911 45 ACP rounds on metal targets at 100+ yards and must aim above the target to hit it's center. But that would be a task with most pistols to hit the target at that range of 300 yards since the bullet drop would be tremendous. :eek: More like lobbing in a Mortar! :)

#21 ·
I like the life size metal silhouettes that hang from chains and swing when you hit them. (Like the sniper school uses) spinners are fun too.

Falling plates are fun as long as they have automatic reset.

And BTW, with a solid rest it isn't hard to hit a life size silhouette at 300 with a 7 1/2 inch .44 magnum pistol. Usually takes me two or three shots to get the range though

#23 ·
I like the life size metal silhouettes that hang from chains and swing when you hit them. (Like the sniper school uses) spinners are fun too.

Falling plates are fun as long as they have automatic reset.

And BTW, with a solid rest it isn't hard to hit a life size silhouette at 300 with a 7 1/2 inch .44 magnum pistol. Usually takes me two or three shots to get the range though
you must have been in artillery, and use to lobbing the shells in! :p

#24 ·
Haven't shot at anything at 300 yd's sense I left the Military !...............
I know the feeling :)
Used to wear the earflap cap all year...folks would ask why??
I'd say, "Do you see this M60?? I wanna be able to hear later
on in life!!"
On FTX, I'd wear it with the flap out and up, so all I had to do
was flip it down over my ears before firing...
wasn't long before others got into the same habit, as it cuts
the sound level down just enough so your ears ain't ringing
after you burn a few belts ;)

Was just thinking about how all those City Boys would walk thru
the woods like they were on a sidewalk...not paying attention to
anything...a few weeks with me & the Top Kick, and they learned
how to sneak thru the woods good & proper :D

Once you learn how to sneak up on a deer, getting fart-close is
the challenge! That's why I bowhunted for so long...40 yards
or less, preferrably less because those jokers have been known
to duck or jump an arrow...closer you are, the less time they
have to react!

Altho...the flap might not have been all that effective...wife sez
that sometimes I don't hear a single thing she says!! :D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.