Shooting advice

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by ragecage23, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

I went to the range yesterday and shot about 100 rounds with my Glock 21. I can't seem to bring my grouping more to the right. I always shoot left.

The first time I shot my grouping was high and left (second picture [15 yards]). Now I shot yesterday and this is what I got (first picture [12.5 yards])

Any suggestions as to how I can correct the problem?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Wait for a cease-fire, go down , and move your target a little bit to the left.......:D

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Beat me to it!

But seriously, have you let anybody else try the pistol; could your sights be in need of adjustment?

Also, review the chart on post #5 (different for lefty's). http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f166/m-p-9mm-pattern-74660/#post982995 Could your trigger finger be a bit small? ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Change your POA, till your POI is where you

want it to be?:confused:

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Grouping is fine, so it is not your shooting basics. A lot of new Glock owners shoot low and to left. They are anticipating recoil of a light polymer gun. You are just shooting left. You would miss the target to the left further down range though. Adjust rear sight more to the right. I would like to add that I personally have some crazy eyes, and have to add a little Kentucky windage when firing guns. My irons, Holographic, red dot and scope are adjusted further right for me to hit dead center. Most people would shoot left of dead center with my guns.

6. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

The gun fits me fine. It doesn't feel or seem too big in my hands, although I have thought about getting a new trigger for it so there isn't such long of a pull.

The picture was at 12 and a half yards. This is my first gun so I haven't shot an all metal handgun before. And the guy I let shoot before couldn't hit anything, so that doesn't help me. I'll see about the sights though. I thought I was jerking the trigger, but I was taking my time with each shot to slowly pull it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  7. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

Low and left....been there, done that.

Yep, I often times hit low and left too. It happens when I rush the shot. :D

[​IMG]

But on a more serious note regarding handguns, try loosening your grip a bit. It's hard to describe...but your finger tips should not be tight on the grip but rather more the palms and your fingers out to the first knuckle (out from your palm). Low and left is common with a grip that is too tight. When I get in a hurry, mine start doing that too and I have to really focus on my grip. I also had a slight problem with my stance. I was blading off too much to the right, which also contributed to my shooting left (not realizing that I was pulling too hard with my support hand while my strong arm was too compressed). An instructor at my last class corrected me on that one.

Anyway, you'll get it....it just takes time and practice. Sometimes a lesson or two with a good instructor can be well worth the $$ spent when compared to lots of bullets flying down range and you still not getting it right while experimenting on your own. Something to consider. :)

8. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

I didn't even think about my stance. I haven't had anyone teach me anything on how to shoot. I just go off of what I've seen for a few shows (mainly top shot) I'll ask a range master and maybe (s)he could give me a few pointers.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jagermiester. That is not a bad group. There are only a few fliers. As long as your rounds are all going the same place, I would be prone to think it was your sights. I would adjust the rear sight just a tiny bit at a time until you are centered. Then I would move it out a little further, say 25 yards...just to see if you are still in the ball park.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

You could try putting more trigger finger around the trigger. It's what I have to do with every hand gun I pick up, especially guns with a long double action pull.

But your group is good, judging by a 100 round group, so simply adjusting your sights like has already been mentioned might be a better route.

It would be a great idea to get a critique on your stance like your talking about doing. Simply pointing the toes on one foot at a slight angle can make a world of difference, good or bad.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

The comment of mine was related to the chart in the post I linked, not a comment on size, though I have heard disparaging comments about Glock owners. :p

The long trigger pull is for safety due to the lack of a manual safety.

12. msup752

msup752 New Member

I had the same problem with my Sig Pro duty gun and my personal Glocks although a bit more than what you are experiencing. On a human shaped target at 15 yards, if I aimed at the center, the rounds would hit on the left edge. My long double action pulls on the Sig were dead on but single action shots went way left.
    The cause? When I pulled the trigger, my wrist was curling to the left as I was trying to anticipate recoil and use wrist muscles to both help pull the trigger and control the recoil. On the double action pull, I focused on using my finger and the bang was a surprise as it should be so it ended up being more accurate.
    If I make a fist with my right (shooting) hand and point my finger out and then slowly curl my finger back towards me, my wrist bends to the left. This is my issue and may be yours.
    My solution was to practice trigger pulls with proper placement of my finger on the trigger so I pull straight back instead of curling my wrist.

You have a nice group so it very well may be your sights!

13. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

When I shoot I have the pad of my finger, closer to the joint on the trigger. Is this too much or too little?

I think I'm missing something haha

My wrist bends to the left as well. When I practice with snap caps I don't see any jerk with the muzzle so I am leaning towards my sights. I'm still going to get someone to look at my stance because maybe I could improve there too.

I edited my very first post with another picture and the distances for each picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is some mighty fine shooting. I think it's your sights.

15. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

Thanks. I just need to find an armory that has a range as well.

16. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

Thanks, now I just need to find an armory that has a range too.

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

Going back to what an earlier commenter said, let a couple of other people shoot the gun. I have a Ruger 22/45 that I consistently shot high and left. I let my wife and father-in-law shoot it, and they both came in high and left. I let a couple of other friends shoot it — high and left. So I drifted the rear sight over. No more shooting left. It still shoots a bit high, but I can deal with that.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

All you need is hammer and a delrin plastic drift (punch). Lay the gun on it's right side after you have verified that it is unloaded and put some padding down for it. Put the punch on the left side of the rear sight and drift it to the right just a little bit. Fire another group and fine tune it.

19. ragecage23

ragecage23 New Member

The people that I have gone to the range with can't shoot a consistent group.

I'm a little iffy about doing it myself though.

20. indy36

indy36 New Member

Do you hold the gun like this? image-849062176.jpg
    image-2162048750.jpg

Do you avoid these? image-3425990251.jpg
    image-2908820577.jpg
    image-3144792107.jpg
    image-3161602787.jpg

And which sight image are you using? image-1949339647.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013