Shooting advice

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by MarkSpacco, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MarkSpacco

MarkSpacco New Member

I just purchased a Ruger LCP 9 and notice I am shooting low and to the right. Wondering if anyone can provide some advice.
    Could it be as basic as adjusting my trigger fingering or could it be a sight issue?

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

3. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I would clear the weapon and do some dry fire exercises in the mirror. You will see the muzzle moving when you pull the trigger.

4. Balota

Dry fire can help. Also your Ruger is a pretty small gun, so felt recoil can be a lot stronger than with a full size gun. It's natural (but wrong) to increase how hard you are holding the gun as you pull the trigger. Tightening your other fingers at (or just before) the moment of discharge can pull the muzzle down and to one side (in your case the right).

I'm still struggling with that same problem, though I'm usually low and left. It does get better with practice. You can't hardly see yourself doing it since the recoil drives the muzzle back up and covers the pulling down action.

If you are anticipating (as I do) there's a good chance you won't see it during dry fire. You know when you dry fire that you won't be getting any recoil. So, you don't twitch. If you can get a friend at the range to load your magazine with a couple snap caps at random locations, you will see the twitch since there's no recoil to hide it. That helps with diagnosis, but it hasn't helped me with correcting the anticipation (yet).

Keep going, it will get better. By the way, if the Ruger is new, it probably is NOT the sights. Most decent handguns come pretty well adjusted. If you have a laser boresighter you can check it pretty easily.

5. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

to correct anticipation slow down your trigger pull go slow and methodical thinking only on the front sight. that causes the point of fire to be a surprise change your timing a little everytime to keep yourself guessing. after a few mags like this you anticipate far less

6. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

7. MarkSpacco

MarkSpacco New Member

I wanted to extend my thanks to all those who provided advice! I have taken the advise given and put it to good use.

8. Colby

Colby New Member

I have that same gun but with a laser attached. Just practicing (dry firing) with the laser on shows how the gun moves around during trigger pull. It can move a lot - and it is due to me.... That laser is a good training tool - shows you what is going on during trigger pull.

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Ill give you the best damn advice anyone can give, if your right handed then ur right hand is just for the trigger hold the main of the wieght in ur left hand. Simple concept but hard to get it down. And just pull the trigger qith yohr right. After each shot pull the slack out so all u have to do is squezze light.
    Your shoting down and to the right cause your trying to hold the wieght of the gun and pull the trigger qith the right hand. So when u pull the trigger yoyr pushing it right. I xant explain hand placement to qell but if you watch uspsa you xan ser theyre hand placement. My trainer showed me rhis and i can now do this

ForumRunner_20120915_031455.jpg

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea focus on the front sight like you would when u read a book

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I think your peo lem is in your trigger hand too. I had the same problem not to the same angle but just being off. When firing try and keep your firing hand as relaxed as possible. With my sig i think my accura,y almost matches my pistol. Keep most the wieggt and pressure on the hand not pulling the trigger. If your squezzing or putting too much pressure with firing hand your going to be off every time i guarantee it

12. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Dry firing imop only helps with tensiong release practice on the trigger, thanx to what ive been shown i can count out ea,h lb of pressure as i pull the trigger

13. MarkSpacco

MarkSpacco New Member

You guys are the best! I may not even have to spring for lessons. The hardest thing with all of this is I can castrate a mouse a 1k yards with my sniper rifle but it is completely different when shooting a smaller hand gun.

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Completely diffrent, smaller the barrel harder to aim

15. Balota

hehe... there's a reason why that sniper rifle is so long! But I didn't think castration was the reason :)

16. Balota

I've been noticing that when I jerk the trigger the worst my trigger finger feels like it's trying to get involved helping resist recoil, like it's trying to grab the butt of the gun at the last moment. When I manage to put the round where it belongs, I'm focusing on the front sight enough to stop thinking about the trigger. I have trouble focusing my vision on the front sight sometimes (it remains blurry), but when I do get a crisp image of the front dot, the round goes where it belongs. Guess I get fascinated by the nice sharp dot and allow the bang to surprise me.

Nothing different about this than what everyone has told me in one way or another since I started shooting (about 1 year ago). Well, one important difference, my body is starting to detect and learn the differences. My mind "knew" all of this shortly after being told these things, but putting knowledge into practice is the hard part.

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Exactly, putting advise into play and breaking bad habits is the hardest part. My trainer told me dont look at what ur shooting look at your front dot. Also this may help break the habit: hold the pistol with your left hand and make a fist with your right with your index finger straight and push pull the trigger and then after you get the fell of it apply the right hand. Also finger tip placement is important, i put the corner of the trigger close to my crevest of my first bender. Also thumb place ment is important rest your left thumb along the frame pointed down parallel with the barrel in tge direction your shooting and your right right behind but almost on top

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Your right thumb tip ahould be on you left thumb knuckel

19. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

*should...

20. levelcross

levelcross New Member