Shooting accident

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by psymmonds, Dec 8, 2012.

1. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

So I went shooting with a friend. He brought his .223 and 30-06 rifles. I have shot .223 before (and also a .308 ) so it was an easy shoot. He then ask if I wanted to shoot his 30-06. Of course I said yes. So I sit down, look through the scope, take my shot. And bam, the scope nails me in the forehead. My mistake was that I misjudged the recoil and I sat to close to the scope. 4 hours and some stitches later we decide that was enough for the day and head home. Just thought I should share this so people can learn from my mistake.

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there are probably many of us who have had the same experiance! it happens. it will happen again. hpoe you get to feeling better.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

4. rainmakerat92

rainmakerat92 New Member

Ouch! Thanks for sharing.

5. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Happens more than you would think. I have had it happen to me but luckily not as bad.

I will never try & shoot another turkey with a 30-06 again though.

6. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Hahaha yeah I asked the doctor who did my stitches and he said it happens all the time in this area (shreveport, Louisiana). His first reaction was "yup that looks like a scope hit you"

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

see! your not the first one! you probably won't even be the last one either!:eek:

i have had a couple "bite" me over the years. not as bad as yours, but enough to leave a bump and bruise.

the harder the recoil, the longer the eye relief needed on the scope.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yep I've stitched and glued more than one brow with scope bites.

Superglue works great and could save you the ER visit. Just irrigate very well with clean water first.

Eye relief on the scope is important to be adjusted right to keep the head further back. Live and learn. Besides chicks dig scars.

9. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Ouch, +1 more reason for me to like iron sights. Ice and advill!

10. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Oh man, you got nailed good. That sucker looks deep. Hope you're feeling alright.

11. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I like iron sights better anyway. Not a big fan of scopes. Now I have one more reason lol. Not going to keep me from firing other people's rifles with scopes though. Just be a bit more cautious next time

12. RemFire

RemFire New Member

But is the scope alright ? :( .

Seriously though thanks for posting. I didn't realize that this could cause such an injury, a serious bruise yeah but that must have been hard!.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Scope Eye

Dude, it is so common it is referred to as, and I'm surprised nobody already chimed in, "scope eye." I worked on a range for years. It is SO common. Pretty much had a case every very busy weekend. Even got a little case myself as a youngin' -- still a little visible reminder thru eyebrow if one looks carefully.

ASK PLASTIC SURGEON TO LOOK AT IT TO MINIMIZE SCAR!? You don't need it obvious for life...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  14. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

We had a paramedic get caught in the eye with a scope. Not as bad as yours, but she had a heluva shiner. And it took her a while to live that down. She was a good sport.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Happens to all of us sooner or later!:p

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

the best lessons in life usually involve a little blood loss but no permanent damage. glad your ok!!

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Congrats man!!! A scope ring is a badge of hard earned experience!! Experience is good, it leads to wisdom.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bag of frozen green peas will be your best friend for a day or two. When they start to thaw, toss the (unopened) bag back in the freezer. Conforms well to shape of face.

Don't ask how I know that.

19. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

OUCH :eek:, been there done that,not as deeply though.. **Note to self... next time shooting others scoped rifles check for proper eye relief,before trigger pull..

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I do have to point out though, I'm glad it's a superficial dumdum wound and not something more drastic, like a full on perforation.

Live, learn, and laugh.