shooting 20 gaug ammo out of a 12 gauge

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by BlownAway, Nov 12, 2010.

1. BlownAway

BlownAway New Member

What do you guys think about shooting 20 gauge ammo out of a 12 gauge using a shotgun adapter?
    Check this gal out shooting one [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbgXNKvp2s]YouTube - Shotgun adapter 12 gauge to 20 video.AVI[/ame]

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Seem like a lot of unnecessary work unloading. I'd just buy a 20 if that's what I wanted to shoot.

Furthermore, there is a chance of getting the ammo mixed up while not using the adapter and that can cause a 12/20 burst, and that ain't pretty, mater of fact, it can be deadly. You should only carry the ammunition designed for the firearm you are shooting IMHO.

3. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Dont see the point unless recoil is a problem.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

First, NO!

We here at the FTF do not suggest using any ammo other that that which is recommend by the manufacturer.

And as a life long engineer, my response is: [​IMG]

And to the OP, go to the Introduction Section and let us know a little about you.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not sure why you would want to. obviously you can with an adapter but i fail to see the point. if you cant handle your 12 trade it in for a 20.

6. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Well, this is a normal procedure in skeet--almost all top level shooters use smaller gauge adapters in their shotguns. I personally use 28 and .410 tubes (adapters) in my 20 gauge, and most use 3-gauge adapters in their 12 gauges. It is not only safe and common, it is required if you want to compete at the highest level. Briley makes a lot of money making "tube sets" for shotguns, as do a few other manufactueres. If you use them according to how they are designed they are as safe as shooting a gun in that gauge.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Besides competition, there are very nice well made older DAMASCUS barrel 12 g shotguns that do well with 20 g inserts.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

and knowing is half the battle. i feel enlightened.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

An adapter or two for a SHTF situation would not be a terrible idea. If I use up all 12,000 rds of 12 gauge and need to off another zombie or two, why not.

10. sarge_257

sarge_257 New Member

20 ga

Only if you use the long inserts that have a O ring on the end of them. Like the old .410 ones that Lyman use to make. If you just use a 'chamber only' insert the Damascus barrels still get the full pressure of smokeless powder burning. And that is not a good idea.
    As far as the 20 ga. inserts shown, it looks like a gadget that a person could soon get tired of.
    Sarge