Shooter Savage 99?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Buglemfar, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Buglemfar

Buglemfar New Member

I went to look at a 1940 Vintage Savage 99 this evening listed in the local classified for $450. EG model, I believe, in .300 Savage with schnabel fore-end and rotary magazine with brass counter.

The rifle was in superb shape though, much to my dismay, it had the horrid drill holes through the top of the receiver for scope mounting. I wouldn't have been able to get my cash out fast enough, otherwise, but told him I'd mull it over until morning. Said he'd do $425 but no lower.

I'm not a collector and don't own a 99 at all but my understanding is that drilled receiver's take quite a toll on value. Would this be a fair price for a Savage 99Shooter?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

In California firearms are overpriced, but even here that rifle wouldn't go for more than $300. to $350.

3. Buglemfar

Buglemfar New Member

Thank you CA357!

I figured that's what it was worth. Think I would have been more interested if the rifle had more wear to the wood and bluing but absent the screw holes!

The savage search continues. :rolleyes:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I know they're out there. I saw a really beautiful one in .308 at the gun shop yesterday, but it hadn't been priced yet.