Shoot it or Collect it ?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by R-BOLT, Jul 13, 2012.

1. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

I am a SSA Ruger revolver guy, but received in a trade a NIB Colt 1911A Limited. What I understand 911 were made, they are Colt's replica of the WWII-Korea-Nam 1911's. Not much for sights on it and I have a convertable Blackhawk that I enjoy shooting .45acp that has great sights. The only thing is have never shot a true 1911 befor. What do you think - shoot it or collect it?

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Shoot it. I hate safe queens. I have an unfired first run 1984 SS Colt coming soon and I have 500 rds set aside for it. I won't own a gun if I can't shoot it. Hell I can get a paper weight for free why spend money on one?

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have never owned anything like that but I say shoot it and take very good care of it.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Collect it.

This is my 100 Year Anniversary Tier III Colt's 1918. It will never be shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Don't let the things you own, own you.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Collect it, you have other guns to shoot
    That one should stay in perfect condition. Besides maybe a treasure to pass along to your children or family.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you've never really shot a 1911 before, the odds are pretty good that you won't be able to tell any difference between that gun and $450 Rock Island GI 1911.

Keep it unfired and you'll have something truly rare and something that will be coveted by many in the years to come. If you want a shooter, save your money a little more and get something that's common and won't hurt to shoot the snot out of it.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont like to own guns that are too rare or expensive to shoot. if it was me i would shoot it or sell it then buy a colt new production 1911 series 70 and shoot the snot out of it.

9. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This. Heck come on by my place I will gladly let you shoot some of mine. Once that one has been shot it can't be undone.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Agreed, collect.

By a shooter RIA, five years from now, when you can look at it and it still looks factory new, you will appreciate it more.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I wouldn't shoot it either, a few rounds probably wouldn't make much difference (unless it wasn't even test fired at the factory) but why take the chance when you could rent or borrow a friend's 1911 to try out. Every shot does leave wear marks.

I have a like new 1941 Luger P08 that I'll never shoot, just too valuable. It's the only gun I own I won't shoot. Instead I shoot a mismatched parts 1913 P08.

12. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I always figured that the best thing about virginity is that it can (and should) be temporary. :D

I doubt that it left the factory without at least one round being shot. I'd put a mag (or 3) through it, clean it with love & care, then let it become a safe queen if that's your preference. JMHO

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

R-Bolt!

COLLECT! With the prices they are presently bringing I would collect the piece! If they are worth good money now they will be worth much more in the future. And it will be better return than you could ever get from a bank or investment for the period of time. An example I have a FN-LAR National Match Rifle that I purchased from Guns South in 1985 for $1000. And have been offered as much as $3500.00 for it more than once.You can not get that kind of return out of much anything else today.
    So with that thought in mind! I would Collect it!

14. woody63m

woody63m New Member

What if the apocolapse kicks off would you still not use it???

15. roughneck266

roughneck266 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Zombies dont care how old the gun you shot them with is.

16. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Thank you all for your input. I was leaning on just collecting it, have no real attachment to it. Will look at buying a good used 1911 if I feel the need to go to the range with one someday. I appreciate all the points of veiw.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

How do you know it'll even fire if you don't shoot it :confused: :D

18. 1911ripley

1911ripley New Member

Shoot it u will love it more after u put a few rounds threw it

19. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Shoot it. Why own a gun if not to shoot it