Shoot em or salvage for components?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by DHall_37, Oct 23, 2020.

1. DHall_37

DHall_37 Member

I figure I should also post a picture of my progress in cleaning so far.

All of this ammo is the “Average grade” stuff and it honestly doesn’t look to bad after being cleaned up. Looks a lot like some 8mm surplus I’ve seen for sale with little amounts of black tarnish on the case but nothing that can be felt like the super bad corroded stuff.
    IMG_3608.jpg

This is the ammo that’s is going to be salvaged for bullets and powder.
    IMG_3609.jpg

This is the perfect stuff that will most likely all go off with no problem.
    IMG_3611.jpg

This is the stuff that still needs to be cleaned and sorted.
    IMG_3610.jpg

Also what would cause a bullet to get stuck in the barrel? Poor ignition of the powder or a light spark being produced from the primer?
    Also I took apart the nastiest, most corroded round and the powder looked like it was put there yesterday, I don’t think powder is gonna be an issue if get a failure to fire most likely old primers.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

Bad powder or primer or both. If you pulled one and the inside of the case was clean . Probably lacquered around primer pocket and bullet crimp. Good shooting.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

We used underarm deodorant pads on our boondockers. The alcohol in the pads made for a quick, deep shine. There was a particular brand that we could get at the exchange, but I can not recall the name.

Sniper03 likes this.
  4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes it could be both. Even thought the powder could look good if it has been exposed to poor storage conditions it can change the composition. And as you said if the primers could have been also. As you know if your hear or feel anything out of the ordinary take caution.
    It is all about proper storage. I have ammunition that is 100 years old from my Grandpa. But it was always kept in the Utility Room in a cool dry place and still fires.
    But that ammunition in the picture above the box picture looks great!

DHall_37 likes this.
  5. DHall_37

DHall_37 Member

I’ve read some great stuff, thanks for all the info. I’d hate to throw out good powder so I think I’ll run a test on the powder, I’ll load up some new cases with the old powder from some nasty cases and if I get any bad results, hang fires or failures to fire I’ll scrap it if not I’ll keep it. Also when I go to shoot this ammo I’ll keep a close eye on the bore to make sure a jacket or bullet doesn’t get stuck.

Sniper03 likes this.
  6. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I think these are you HP rounds.
    Hirtenberger Patronen-, Zündhütchen-und Metallwarenfabrik A.-G., Hirtenberg, Niederdonau, Austria

DHall_37 likes this.
  7. Oldoutlaw

MG is likely, Marcel Gaupillat & Co., Paris, France

DHall_37 likes this.
  8. Oldoutlaw

I suspect your R ammo was made here.

R perhaps? Fábrica do Realengo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

DHall_37 likes this.