Shiney Brass

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Feb 16, 2012.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

How do you get reloading brass to shine like gold? A wet chemical soak? A very long tumble? Or a combination of both?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

2. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

I use flitz brass poilsh and corn cob media and let tumble for a few hrs and usually comes out like new.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pretty much the same, a few hours in the tumbler with corn cob media. check out MidwayUSA, they are offering the sonic cleaners now and i have heard many good things about them.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As long as the brass is not black to begin with, vibratory cleaner/tumbler and one of several chemical additives like Flitz, Iosso, Midway, Lyman, etc works quite well.

5. MPsteelshooter87

MPsteelshooter87 New Member

Are you guys putting the polish right in with the media or how are you useing it? Ive never used a polish.

6. csaw44

csaw44 New Member

I use the Flitz and simply add a small amount to the corn cob media for a good shine.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, a few hours and not overnight. Don't start the tumbler and forget to turn it off before bedtime. Dull finish in the morning.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a rotary tumbler with warm water and liquid Tide. 20 minutes to wash, thorougly rinse, and dry in oven at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

About 1 tablespoon of Tide, and warm not hot, water.

9. 1hole

1hole New Member

Shiney cases mean nothing to perfomance and they start to oxidize the moment we take them out of the tumbler so there is NO ballistic advantage and precious little glitter advantage. Most reloaders get over the noob fasination with meaningless glitz pretty quickly.

10. Axxe55

i don't clean cases for any type of ballistic advantage, and i'm pretty sure most other reloaders don't either. some cases get ejected on to the ground, they get dirt on them, sometimes they get carbon buildup from being fired. i clean them so that most of the dirt and residue is removed from them and so that i can inspect them for damage, cracks, and splitting, any defects that could cause potential problems. a lot of times these defects show up easier when they are clean. also clean cases make your dies work easier and last longer by not scratching up the insides with dirt and foreign material.

11. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

I use an ultrasonic cleaner filled will distilled water and Lyman's brass cleaner. Two 8 min cycles with the heater on. Cleans the primer pocket, inside, and outside the case really good. Hit it with some 0000 steel wool after trimming and it's nice and shiny.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Was that his question?

13. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Haha +1 lonyaeger

14. Axxe55

pretty good! that is why i posted what i did. i don't clean my brass so they look nice and pretty. it is done from purely practical reasons. clean cases are easier to see any defects and are easier on your equipment. i don't tumble some of mine everytime they have been shot, but at least every third time they are shot they get tumbled.

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Everyone who's been a soldier, especially in the Army loves shiny brass! :D

I use a couple of capfulls of the Lyman brass polish with my crushed walnut shell media in my rotary tumbler. Shines like new.

P.S.: Don't use products like Brasso because of the ammonia in it will make the brass brittle.

16. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Other than for the reasons axxe mentioned, clean shiny brass just looks nice.

17. slim325

slim325 New Member

Hey vmkeith what kind of ultrasonic do u use.I've but looking at some but very undecided.I use a tumbler now but the ultrasonic is a much more versital tool.