Shihan's "Shaded Area" thread.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by skullcrusher, Apr 26, 2011.

1. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok, Shihan makes a good living at knowing his bugs and adversaries.

We have done the "Ask Shihan" threads of certain bugs and specie.

This is about the "shaded area" of certian bugs and critters that you think you might have in your area but probably don't. Myths on this topic run rampant and misinformation is like a plague to the one's who know their business.

Please, Mr. Critter, show me where Black Widows live. Are there mistaken species for the same? How do I spot a Black Widow for sure?

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

"Dear Mr. Critter, do kangaroo's make it this far north??"---Terrified in PA
    :D

3. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I don't know about how far North they get Terrified, but I think if you ask Winds they're just to the West of you over in IL :eek:

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Dear Critterman,

I have some seriously large slugs around my house. Some could pass for a discolored hot dog. How do I rid myself of them?

Slimer

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Black Widows are found in every State. Perhaps the most well known spider in North America.
    Les Escargots
    My heart doesn't harden
    At snails in a garden
    I'm fond of their leisurly gait
    But here at the table
    I wish they were able
    To run, like gazelles, off my plate-Milton Bracker

Buy some Chickens and Ducks.
    You could reduce the moisture around the house, cut back on lawn watering time

Baits and Pesticides are highly toxic and should be used with caution.

Can also use Beer traps, in a shallow pan put some stale beer, the slugs are attracted to the beer crawl in and die by drowning.

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Mr. Critter,
    How do I get rid of those tiny sugar ants that try to get into the house every spring?

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, I know for a fact there is at least two kangaroos in Illinois. A mom and her baby.

What if I set a beer trap like that and in the morning I discovered I caught SuprDave in the trap?

8. Shihan

The key to properly controlling Ants is proper identification.
    The most common home invading ants are the Argentine Ant, the Odorous House Ant and the Crazy Ant.
    The Argentine is a light to shiny black ant with a 12 segment Antennae without a club. It has strong trailing habits the can forage for more than 500 feet from the colony.
    The Odorous House Ant is a small ant with a color ranging from brown to black when crushed they put off an odor similar to that of rotten coconut. The are tireless foragers, likely to come in after rains when Honeydew has been washed away. Their trails are similar to the Argentine.
    The Crazy Ant is a dark brown to black colored small ant. The first segment of the antenna is more than twice the legnth of the head. They have no real discernable trail and run about aimlessly, from wher the name is derived.

It is best to call a professional in to give a good look around the yard to find possible nesting sites and provide a wide spectrum of control measures.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I tried the beer traps but they didn't work. They must not like Schlitz.

10. Shihan

Then buy some of those ugly yard ducks. Try some Metaldehyde or Methiocarb bait. Make sure your Dog can't get it.

Mexacarbate is a highly toxic pesticide that you can sprayed on turf, o rnamental plants andground cover to control them.

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

or round those slugs up and use them for fishing bait ;)