Shield

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by deg, Oct 21, 2013.

1. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Got a Shield .40 a few months ago for my first cc gun; I was showing it to someone last night, and in my attempt to drop the mag out of it - it failed. It seems that the lint off my t-shirts has plugged the release up. Is this common on cc weapons?

2. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I wouldn't say common, but it's certainly a possibility. I'm personally more concerned with sweat corrosion and body salts in tight tolerance places.

3. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have the Shield 9MM and dont have that issue. Question: Are you using too munch oil??

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Lint accumulation on CC arms is a problem that you must be proactive about. I inspect and if necessary, clean and lube my carry guns every 2 weeks or so, more frequently in hot, humid weather.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That'd be my question.
    I also carry the 40. Aside from wanting new sights and an apex kit I've had no issues.

6. deg

Don't think I have that going on. I have only wore it 1/2 day without a t-shirt between it and me, just to see if I was ok with it - I didn't like it. I do not sweat a lot, and don't recall a time that it would have been exposed to that condition.

7. deg

Don't think I am using too much oil.

8. deg

Don't think I am using too much oil on it, good point, I will certainly monitor it

9. deg

Well in my fear of over oiling it I believe I had under oiled it. It's working fine now...duh. Thanks group! However, I did learn that it falls under the recall. I will take it back to the shop I got it from, they are an authorized S&W service center for more evaluation.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Glad it worked out. Definitely bring it down there, it shouldn't take more than an hour for them to do the recall work, assuming they have parts on site.

11. mahall

mahall New Member

Go easy on the oil, keep clean and inspect regularly! Always holster when pocket carrying.

12. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Is the guy new? If so give it time to break in. My S&W M&P .40 did similar. But it was only about 8-10 releases and it never failed again.

13. deg

Brand new haven't even had an opportunity to shoot it yet. I have others I shoot but not this one. I took it apart and cleaned it out of the box, gave it a lite oiling, bought a holster (Black Mamba) and wearing it to get stuff formed and broke in. I would drop the mag and manually run a few cycles. And then it was just froze up and when I forced it - the mag release stuck. It had some fuzz around it and inside the barrel, just at the edge. That's why I thought lint was getting in the release button. I am not new to shooting, just cc.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I always run a minimum of 100 rounds through a gun before I carry it. I make damn well sure that it cycles reliably and hits what it is supposed to before i trust my life to it.When your life depends on it is the wrong time to find out you have an issue.

15. kodiak

kodiak Member

Lubrication does not have anything to do with the ability to manipulate the magazine catch and drop a mag.

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Actually it can cause the mag to stick and also attracts dirt etcetera that can cause all sorts of malfunctions.

17. kodiak

kodiak Member

He implied that it didn't work because it was under lubed.

18. deg

Good point and deep down I knew that. I just need to get to the range and shoot that dude..

19. deg

I will have the shop check it while I have it in for the recall

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In that case you're correct.
    It becomes an issue with too much lube.