Shield Safety Warning!!!

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by Jagermeister, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

A heads up from Yankee Marshall,

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2xuspv0ZlE&feature=g-subs-u[/ame]

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

Gary is the brains in that outfit.

Into a couple of videos, he seems mildly entertaining. After a few more, you soon figure out the guy's agenda.

He has adopted kids, and listen to how he ends his videos. Not the brightest spark.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

A Shield's been my EDC for over a year now, and the safety, which I agree is a redundant component, has never engaged/disengaged on it's own. Now I don't carry in a fanny pack or man purse, just a holster. That, and the safety's stiff enough I can't engage with a flick of my thumb like the video. Might be an issue down the road, but not yet.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Sweet Donn, I hope it lasts. Maybe he needs to get the safety tightened by manufacturer? I owned a .40 S&W from them (the same one the CHP use to have). It was a nice gun. I actually bought it over here in Germany. That was in the earlier 90's. I do think the safety should be taken out of the gun. It is not needed.

5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Alright, so the Shield being something I've actually got some hands on time with at the range I wonder about this.

I really liked the Shield but thought right out that there is no way that I would ever carry with the safety engaged. It is smaller than a damn tic-tac and almost uselessly stiff. If anyone has one that is light enough to engage or disengage by accident then they probably have a bad gun that needs service.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I think he's interesting to listen to and usually has a different perspective on things. I usually find myself agreeing with him.

He claims to be a "liberal" but honestly I believe he does that for shock value. He's definitely a Constitutionalist, which isn't anywhere close to modern liberals. He seems socially more liberal, but in his defense he's all about social liberty and freedom, again not consistent with the current real liberals, IMO.

I like the guy. He's not the best speaker but I guarantee I wouldn't be either. Again, I think he gives different perspectives on some things.

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I saw this as well. I have to tell my sis, she just bought a shield.

8. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I just checked mine. It works fine. I appreciate the heads up. It shows me that this forum is not just a people arguing about "which gun is better" and "your gun sucks". This is the type of information that makes me appreciate this forum even more.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Either way, if your guns serial number is part of the recall, have it fixed.

10. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I can't find any mention of serial #s affected.

11. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

A Shield 9 mm is my everyday carry and has been for a year. I carry with the safety on, and in an IWB holster, have never had the safety move off. So I see no problem in his warning.

The recall is for the trigger isn't it? Not the safety. I have not checked mine yet, will carry the ruger today, and check the Shield latere when I have time.

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I believe if you go to the respective website they have a list of the serial numbers affected.

13. mahall

mahall New Member

Yes, the Safety Alert is part of the Trigger that could cause accidental discharge if weapon is dropped! I tested mine, as the video clip suggested and my trigger is functioning properly according to the Video! I see no safety alerts pertaining to external safety on S&W's website! Mine appears to be working properly as designed. Part of the problem of an external safety. is the manufacture finding the sweet spot between, stiff enough to prevent accidental engage or disengage and loose enough for flawless disengage if needed in a Crises. Weather this guy had real concerning issues about the function of the safety is debatable! What is clear to me, he never really cared for the shield and hated safety's on small Carry guns, which is puzzling to me as why he even purchased one! I dislike external safety's but Love the shield and leave mine disengaged, ignoring Smiths stupidity for putting a big wart on such a fine CC gun!!

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This has S&W's label on it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWGS-P9Pk[/ame]

15. mahall

mahall New Member

Yes, I tested mine about 10 times and the tab consistently disappeared and appeared as the video showed! This will probably slow sales and increase availability in some areas! I hear the Shield is still difficult to find in some areas.