Shield 9 or 40

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by ChrisWar, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ChrisWar

ChrisWar New Member

I have a full size M&P in 9mm. Would like to get a shield for cc. I do not have any guns in 40 cal? Which shield cal would you recommend?

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I have the Shield in 9mm and that's what I'll suggest. Mainly because I'm not a fan of .40 S&W. I never intend to own a gun chambered for it.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm with Polygon on the .40 caliber. Unless they make the Shield in .45 the 9mm is the one I would buy.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have one in .40, recoil isn't bad, my GF handles it fine. I already have a 9mm, 40 ammo was always easy to find, even when 9mm was non-existent.

5. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

I have a shield in 9mm and love it. I used to carry a glock 23 (.40) and the only complaint I had while shooting is that the 40 is a snappy round. I shot my buddies shield 40 and it does have more snap to it than the 9mm. Highly recommend the 9mm, quick follow up shots and target acquisition which is what you want in a cc. And 9 ammo is cheaper!!

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would get the 9mm since you already have that caliber.

A few years ago I made a choice to limit my handgun ammo to 9mm, .38spl, .357mag and .45acp.

Oh and .22lr.

7. StLshooter

StLshooter New Member

I have a shield 40 and love it. I already have a m&p9c so I figured I'd get the shield in .40. It is easy to shoot,my wife and I are both accurate with it. It has a much better trigger than my 9c. If I can't find. 9mm ammo, .40 is almost always available. I've shot about 500 rounds through mine with zero problems. I carry it daily and love it .

8. ChrisWar

ChrisWar New Member

If 9mm wasn't still hard to find, this would not be difficult, but it seems I find 40cal all the time. I'd really like to only keep 9mm & 45 in inventory.
    I agree too bad there isn't a 45 shield. And a 1911 is still in the distant future.

9. ChrisWar

ChrisWar New Member

Last box of 9mm I paid $20 for a box of solids. My son is buying 45 at $25! I think the 40 is actually cheaper than the 9mm right now.

10. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

For me, it was a choice between capacity or power. In self defense situations where adrenaline runs high and you may be facing multiple attackers, I tend to choose capacity over power...hence my choice of 9mm over 40S&W....and why I do not use a .45 for carry or home defense/night stand gun.

11. McCakie

McCakie New Member

Just between the two I'd pick the .40.... No reason that it's better in any way... except that when you put an ok shot on target instead of a good shot the bleeding hole is gonna be bigger with the .40 over the 9mm hence faster blood loss and faster incapacitation... That's the only reason people love the .45 "it makes a bigger hole"

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Basically the way I see it, there are two very good competing arguments for why you should choose one caliber over the other.

First, you already have a 9mm. One school of thought would say stick to the Shield 9mm for commanality of ammo.

The other school of thought says buy the Shield .40 so you can diversify your ammo, so that in a time of crisis, such as the past year or so, you might still be able to find ammo to shoot, even if one dries up.

Personally, I don't buy into either school of thought. I have multiple calibers because I enjoy shooting multiple calibers. I own a pistol chambered in .40 S&W, and I'll be honest, I don't actually enjoy shooting it. The recoil is too snappy for me.

My advice? See if you can rent both and see which one you enjoy shooting more.

13. The Man

The Man New Member

I recently bought a Shield 9mm. When I fired it at the range , I was surprised at the mild recoil. It's my main CC firearm and I love it. It's not a large frame 'shooting iron', easier to carry on the hip due to a smaller frame and I even carry it as a pocket gun in an appropriate holster. I like the 8 rd mag capacity, 1 in the tube and 7 in the mag. (NYS anti-gun GOV shoved very restrictive gun laws recently. Can only have 7 rds in a mag). :mad: Anyway, I found in rapid firing, the reacquiring of the target with the gun to be mild. It was a pleasure to shoot.
    Break down of the gun for cleaning was pretty simple.

14. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Keep your calibers simple. No need to buy multiple calibers. Keep the 9mm and carry Speer Gold 147 gr JHP bullets. Trust me. I'm a professional.

15. Pugster

Pugster New Member

I bought my wife a pickup truck, a mink coat, and a 9mm stainless steel Smith&Wesson 30 yrs. ago for wedding gifts. We have stayed with 9mm ever since and will continue to do so.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a critical safety problem with some of the Shields. I checked mine and it is OK.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQWGS-P9Pk[/ame]

17. Kansas

Kansas New Member

I have it in 9mm, had it for about a year and a half and I think I'm somewhere around 1500 rounds through it and I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind. I couldn't be happier with it. I'm a 9mm guy, but either way you'll be getting a high quality firearm

18. jarrodsquito

jarrodsquito New Member

I love my M&P 9...the benefit of .40 is negligible and the added benefit of shooting faster accurately out ways the benefits

19. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I would look into the .40 and getting the 9mm conversion barrel then for round $150 extra you have both

20. bi11fish

bi11fish New Member

I would suggest that you shoot both and make a decision based on your personal feelings toward both. I have purchased weapons based on reviews and recommendations that I loved an also bought some a I hated and never put into rotation. My guns are like women some are just better than others based on my personal experience and preference.:)