Shield 45

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by ladder13, May 22, 2016.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Needs the 4" barrel.

2. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Held one yesterday and couldn't believe how thin it was. I mean it felt like it was barely thicker than the 45 acp case itself. And that grip was super aggressive, almost to the point where I can see it rubbing you raw if it's against your skin. I'm seriously thinking of picking one up. Especially since no one has a Cz p01 in stock for

3. PaPow

PaPow Member

I`ll wait for the performance center 45 Shield. Then i might consider one...
    but i do have a glock 30S already, w/10+1 capacity...never mind.

Something with 6 rounds dosen`t impress me. (my 30S is comparable size to it)
    A gun with gravel/sandpaper grips is WAY to rough for me.

..........ok, never mind, again.

4. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

I am more concerned about the trigger pull. The pistol I carry only holds 7 rounds, I carry extra magazines. It is a CS 45. I do not like the striker fired pistols of today, though I was forced to buy a Ruger Custom LCP to carry around the farm. It has a good trigger pull for a striker fired pistol.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  5. ca1survivor

ca1survivor New Member

KS you want a nice trigger in s striker fired ? try the H&K VP-9 or VP-40.

6. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I'd say the trigger pull is better than the ruger lcp. The 45 shield has arguably the best trigger pull in the m&p lineup

7. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. It has to be a .45 for me.

8. PaPow

PaPow Member

"best trigger pull" compared to what (?????)
    I`m a S&W guy, have been for years, but i havent found an M&P trigger i like, yet. They`re just horrible. The performance center models are a little bit better, but NOT by very much. Personally, i think the M&P triggers are voted the worst trigger out there on the market, for a stryker fired gun. Sorry, just being honest. I do have a few M&P`s, but ALL of mine have had all their trigger components replaced.

And whats even worse, if you buy the PC CORE & ported models, the barrels are NOT fitted properly...super sloppy. Take the OEM barrels and throw them in the garbage, replace them with a APEX barrel & trigger kit, then you`ll have a sweet target gun. I own several glocks too, glock triggers are far superior over S&W by a long shot. But then again, i hate glock frames....they dont fit my hand like the M&P guns do, thats why i buy the M&P`s and spend the extra money to make them shoot decent. I hate having to buy guns, then have to mod them just to make them shoot...who needs or wants the added expense. I just dont understand why S&W dosent put the effort into making the M&P a better gun for what you have to spend. The craftsmanship is all over the place with S&W M&P`s, some barely halfway decent, some are just junk right out of the box.

First 9mm shield i bought, got 100 rounds thru it, POWWWWWWWW, there went the take down lever spring...popped right out of the frame and jammed in the slide rail. It locked the gun right up...!!!! So i fixed the gun and down the fuggin road it went. Once that trust is broken, it`ll never be right.

9. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Compared to the other m&p handguns, as in the m&p lineup. I never said m&p's had good triggers, but the general consensus on the shield 45 is it is an improvement over the other m&p's. The trigger is one of the reasons why I sold my m&p9. I have to agree with you on the m&p arguably having the worst stock striker trigger out of all the major players. The lcp 2 has an upgraded trigger, but the original lcp trigger just plain sucked as well

10. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

I will stick with my generation 3 pistols.

11. PaPow

PaPow Member

If your talking about the 3rd gen glock`s,
    you`ll save yourself alot of money and disappointment to stay with the glock.

12. KSDeputy

KSDeputy Member

Compared to generation 3 DA/SA pistols.

13. franco45

franco45 Member

I'm late to the game on this thread but there are some smokin' deals available with the rebate that's in effect from April to June. I just ordered one for $299 before the rebate,

14. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

I realize this thread is old,but I just purchased a m&p shield,and love it.I've been a smith fan since 1991 ,after I got a job as a deputy sheriff.my carry gun was a model 5906, loved that gun! Anyhow,I took my shield .45 to the range yesterday and put about a hundred rounds through it including some federal hydrashock hollow points through it and I was surprised with the trigger,I kept seeing people say the trigger is carp,but I don't think so.I shot at 21 ft distance and all my rounds hit within a 4inch radius,give or take a cpl.that's pretty good for never before shooting the gun,and not being used to it.The trigger does have some play in it,but I honestly found it a very smooth shooting weapon.I would however not recommend it for beginners.the only thing that I don't like is the roughness of the grip,it's great for shooting but being a big guy it really scrapes up my side.other than that it will soon be my edc.

15. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Know the feeling ;) CS40 & CS45 make a nasty little combo :)

Attached Files:

16. Themanofmans

Themanofmans New Member

.45 for me please : )

17. PaPow

PaPow Member

I`m with ya... my very first semi-auto was a 1991 S&W 5926 (this one has the decocking lever, but still the same gun as the 5906). Even to this day, its still the most accurate 9mm i`ve ever owned.

Shield 45... i have the standard, my wife liked it so much that she bought the performance center shield 45. Both are sweet shooters. At first, neither of us were a fan of the grip texture, but after shooting them, i dont want another gun without that textured grip. The gun stays planted in your hand. We have the shield 9mm`s as well, i dont even want to shoot the 9`s anymore, the grip is to slippery. We ordered some talon granular grip tape for our 9`s in hopes that they will be as grippy as the shield 45`s.

As for the accuracy, these shield 45`s are tack drivers...! They are the smoothest shooting 45`s i have ever shot. They dont seem to be ammo fussy either, unlike all the glocks i own. First time out with my wife shooting her new 45, 3 out of 5 were dead nuts bullseyes. We both really like the shield 45`s ALOT...!!!! I did do a trigger job on my standard shield 45, as i knew i could make it much better, and did.

I`m very sure you`ll get use to your grip texture, we did, and prefer the grippiness now.