shield .40 cal

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by mountainman13, Sep 30, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Just figured I'd piss off a bunch of you and let you know I'll be heading down to North Shore Firearms tomorrow to do the paperwork on my shield.
    I'll be trading in a bodyguard .380 and colt detective special as well as 2 boxes of .380, 1 box .38 special, 2 boxes of .22 LR, 3 boxes of 5.56 and 120 rounds of green tip 5.56 on stripper clips.
    I expect to be delayed.for 2 days as I have been since working at the unnamed shop (that has been under investigation since I left). I expect to walk out with a few boxes of ammo and a holster. The gun will be shipped to a buddy of mine (ffl) to save me the 2 hour round trip to pick it up.

Assuming the government shut down doesn't stop all firearms related activity.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well the guns paid for the shield in full and the ammo got me 120 rounds and a holster. I'll be picking my new hot weather\ backup gun up on Thursday or Friday.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Congrats man!! The Shields are fantastic firearms. ...I still wish I had mine.. :-(

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They're damn near impossible to get hands on up here. I'd be tempted to sell mine, I could probably get $600 for it. Lol
    Now I just gotta get the apex kit and night sights ordered, when I have the money. I wanna do both at the same time because the rear sight tends to be a pita to get off.

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I have a .40 Shield and love it. Perfect carry size and feels great in the hand. I just haven't shot it as much as I should have.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah It's a vast improvement over the bodyguard. Lol

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm glad you got the gun you wanted.

Personally I think trading off that Colt Detective Special. But hey, if you like the Shield more, more power to ya.

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

MM13, you had a Colt Dick Special 38 and didn't give old Donn a shot, (no pun intended), at it?

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You probably wouldn't have been interested. On top of the hassle of dealing with Massachusetts, it didn't have original grips, the finish was about 90% and I polished up the hammer and trigger. The only thing that gun had going for it was the difficulty of getting one in this state.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Picked it up today and ran it through a 75 round rapid fire failure test. She passed with flying colors.

Attached Files:

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

How snappy is the recoil on it? I don't own any .40s and have never even fired one. I've been eyeing a 9mm shield but the .40 might make a good start into that caliber.

Nice looking gun. Going to be an everyday carry?

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In my opinion it isn't snappy but my edc is a glock 20 so recoil isn't an issue for me. It'll be my hot weather/ backup carry. Works fine for a pocket gun.
    I definitely intend to do an apex trigger and night sight job on it but Aside from that it's a great gun. Especially when it is replacing a bodyguard .380. Lmfao

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

MM13, congrats on the gun! She's a beaut. Glad you enjoy her.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Thanks. I've wanted one since they came out but they've been damn hard to get hands on. I had to settle for the bodyguard and then I missed the boat on the trigger kits for the stupid bodyguard I had been waiting months for. I got lucky and my buddy let me know about south shore firearms. They had 3 left when I called.

15. MountainMan864

MountainMan864 New Member

Nice find. I own an m&p .40 fullsize and love it. I've been trying to find a shield 9mm to carry though. They are going for around $450-500 around here.

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Your best bet is to call around and get on waiting lists and then keep looking. They are not easy to get.

17. taztown

taztown New Member

I truly like my Shield .40 even though it took me exactly six months of waiting to get it. It is a nice size for conceal carry and has a low recoil. My only negative comment is the front sight white dot fell out. No big deal since I want to put in red nail polish instead to brighten it up.

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I love mine and totally agree the sights suck. My dots looked like sh!t out of the box. I filled mine and intend to swap them out anyway.

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

What sights are you thinking about replacing them with. I love my Shield but I'm not thrilled with the sights. Been thinking about some XS Big Dots.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The big dot is very popular. I'll likely go with some standard tritium sights or tfo's if I can find them.