Sheriff's Assoc. Opposes Carry Bill

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by mseric, Mar 31, 2014.

1. mseric

mseric New Member

Below is a link to a youtube video of some of the Testimony before the Florida House Judiciary Committee on Thursday, March 17, 2014. It shows the Florida Sheriffs Association OPEN OPPOSITION to your right to carry your firearms with you during a mandatory evacuation under a declared state of emergency.

Further, despite words of the Founding Fathers in the Second Amendment, it is their opinion that you only have a "right" to own firearms and not a "right" to bear firearms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogTYo4mPuo

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...ciation-opposition-to-right-to-bear-arms.aspx

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most states disarm citizens during a "state of emergency" with the excuse being it helps prevent looting. Also, citizens moving around while National Guardsmen patrol is thought to be too dangerous of a situation. Not quite sure how this differs from moving around every day amongst police and civilians, but the state somehow sees a difference.

During Katrina, many weapons were removed from citizens legally carrying and even taken from their homes. Last I heard, less than 15% had been returned.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone still think they wont come for your guns?

4. mseric

mseric New Member

Everyone I know that votes Democrat!!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Sheriffs are elected officials. That makes them POLITICIANS. They cease being law enforcers and become politicians. Sheriffs are slightly more conservative than chiefs of police.

6. Original

Original New Member

The Aholes really WANT a War don't they.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I don't think they want a fight... It's just that their heads are so far up their collective derrières that they mistakenly believe that a war with civilians is A. Impossible and B. Something they could handle.

Personally... I hope they never "need" to receive an "object lesson" on the topic.

Tack

8. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

The Battle of Athens TN....

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

10. mseric

mseric New Member

11. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

The last I heard, it was passed. Maybe I heard wrong. The Sheriffs A$$-ociation is just whining.

12. RKB

RKB Member

That law is at the Federal level, it does NOT forbid state law enforcement from taking your weapons.

13. mseric

mseric New Member

It has only made it out of Committee. Week/months before it actually passes or fails the Legislators and then the Governor.

14. TDS92A

I would have swore that I read an NRA-ILA message about this being passed. Oh well, I will get a follow up message eventually. ;)

15. mseric

mseric New Member

16. TDS92A

17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

So true, so true. Can't argue with the facts. The majority of liberal politicians want draconian firearm restrictions, the majority of conservative politicians are very pro gun. JMO.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Neither side respects constitutional protection. So called conservative politicians will remain pro gun for as long as being pro gun benefits them politically.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I think the point here is also we can not blame the Sheriff's Association as a whole. There are many sheriff's in the association throughout the US who as a group and individually have advised they personally and their agency would not enforce any confiscation of weapons according to the Second Amendment. Including instruction from a tyrannical government! I agree with all here regarding taking your weapon during a disaster and support it 100%. Carrying it concealed while doing so might be another issue since many travel to other states during these times. Some of those states do not honor anyone carrying concealed without a license from their home state and maybe the state does not honor Florida's personal protection permit initially. So that would be a consideration when traveling outside of Florida.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  20. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It's very easy to get a permit here if you qualify, but it is not quick, and it is not cheap. In theory hurricane season could be over before you ever see your permit even though the law calls for 90 days or less. If it is going to go longer than 90 days they have to notify you of the cause of the delay. We're too busy seems to be an acceptable reason to them.