Shell cutting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by deathkricket, Jun 10, 2011.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Ok so this is new to me, you take a regular low brass target shell like the AA or the 100 rnd value pack they sell at Wal Mart, cut a deep line all the way around it about half way and when shot the shell breaks in half and performs like a slug. Now my question, if you take a shell and hold it to the end of the barrel you will see it is much larger around so by doing this i am pretty sure you are getting pressure spikes due to the fact you are pretty much clogging your barrel and then forcing the half of the shell out. While i dont think i will ever try it i would like to hear some thoughts on this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU]YouTube - ‪The lost art of "Cut Shells"‬‏[/ame]

2. freefall

freefall New Member

I have heard of this but never understood the appeal of actually doing it.:confused:

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You can buy a 15rd box of slugs for $8 at walmart.

4. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

That does sound cool. Not sure I would be doing it but in a pinch it is a good option

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dafes from the time when slugs were not available. Please do not try this with anything but a cylinder bore shotgun- even with that, it is not a REAL good idea.

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I don't think it would be as bad as forcing a slug down a full choke barrel. I used to do that when I was a kid till I bulged one.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shooting modern rifled slugs in a modern full choked barrel is not likely to cause any sort of problem. If you bulged a barrel with a slug, there must have been some very unusual circumstances to do so.

The "rifling" on a slug does not make it spin. It allows the slug to swage down to bore diameter safely. Using a "cut shell" in a full choke is FAR more likely to cause a problem than a rifled slug.

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

2 3/4" shell, 2 1/2" chamber. Cheap turn of the century shotgun. I shot about 4 boxes one day and when I got home and cleaned it I noticed the bulge.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

With that combination it is very fortunate you did not do something far worse than a bulge.

10. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

I can't see why I would ever want to do this. :confused:
    And my sawed off blows a lot tighter pattern than "Berry's" did. I blame it on the plastic wads common today.
    I have #8's as my house load. And a passel of 00 buckshot as well.
    I always teach that if you need to use your home defense firearm, use it until the twitch is all gone. No matter how many times you need to reload. ;)

11. krazykeny

krazykeny New Member

this is safe

Not only is this safe in a open choke shotgun.
    It has LESS barrell pressure.

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I remember cutting shells. An idea whose time has come... and gone.