She loves you yeah yeah yeah... But will she clean your rifle?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mercator, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mercator

Mercator New Member

To the men and women, what has your spouse or best friend done to support your (true) passion for guns?

It does not have to be an act of sacrifice. I brought up the cleaning in jest. My wife won't do it, I won't ask her (or anyone) to do it. But she has stained a wood stocked rifle for me!

Letting me buy, trade, train, or just hang out in the woods, probably means the most. How about you?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife kind of tolerates my addiction. sort of. a little. Well, she only complains about it every couple of months.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

My wife's firearms are magic. She shoot them, then says my gun is dirty, and it magically appears clean.

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Hey, I have magic guns too!!! :)

5. fordracing

fordracing Member

My wife is the best. I'm very lucky. Very tolerant of my hobby. Goes shooting with me only about once a year to stay familiar with manipulations of the handguns. She seems to enjoy shooting, but won't let me buy her one of her own. Maybe that will change when I buy my first shotgun and take her to shoot some clays. Also, I should probably buy a 22 cal rifle with a scope. I think the key to new shooters enjoying this sport is low recoil and being able to see and hit the target.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, it was our first anniversary. She bought me an inexpensive side by side 12 g- a Boito from Brazil. Which was astounding- at the time, we were so broke we could not pay attention. She had put it on layaway, and paid off $5 a week. Still have it. Has dumped it share of bunnies, squirrels, quail, dove, and a nice 6 point buck. Still have it.

7. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

My ex had the same deal. What was odd was that her dad and brother ended up with same deal. Her dad had about 40 acres and we would have some pretty big trap shoots there 40-50 people covered dish lunch, really good days. Anyhow her dad and brother hated to clean their guns so they would take them to the local gunsmith and pay him to clean them.

When I found out about this I started bringing their guns home with me and cleaning them when I cleaned mine. Partly as a thank you for the good day of shooting. Partly because letting someone else clean my guns just didn't compute. Partly because I enjoyed it, it is part of the deal. I would watch Monday Night Football and clean shotguns.

The shoots were usually on a Sunday, and I would spend Monday and Tuesday nights cleaning guns.

8. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

She supports my habbit as household finances allow. She allows and some times accompanies me to go to gun shows, LGS, and other gun counters,( Wal-Mart, Sportsman's Warehouse, and the like). She also enjoys the conversations on guns, shooting, safety.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Here it's like [guns]+[range time]=[content husband] so I get moral support even though she generally dislikes guns.

I think some women who are touted by their boyfriends and husbands as gun friendly, actually do what it takes to build or maintain the relationship. Nothing is wrong with that. Me, I don't have her guns to clean - no problem!

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Same here. I do all the cleaning and maintaining, and what's funny, since I told a few friends I was taking smithing classes, magically my LE & ex Military friends show up at my door at least once a week with problems with their guns. I guess they would rather throw me a $20 to look at it before they bring their guns into the Armorer at their job....

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my current wife is very supportive and she does like to shoot as well. now she hates shopping for guns, but she hates to shop period. she doesn't complain or gripe about what i buy, which after my first two ex-wives, is pretty danged good.

neither of my first two ex-wives cared for guns and would complain to no end about them. my second wife, didn't even want me to keep them in the house.

yep, my current wife is a keeper for sure.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My best friend bought me a Henry Lever youth model and had it custom painted for me. It's a sweet shooter! Can't get any more supportive than that.

My friend in Florida has a bunch of guns. When I went to visit him, I realized his wife can't stand guns. But she said she supports him in his love of shooting because it makes him happy. That was very nice to hear. I couldn't talk her into going to the range with us. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Men and women are both descended from the Hunter and Gatherer society of Pre-History. The men make and maintain weapons and women plant and gather food.
    This system has worked for millions of years. Clean your own damn guns or you may end up working in the garden next deer season.:eek:

14. DrFootball

That being what it is, I have "refreshed" my wife's skills. She can clean them if she has to.

15. stratrider

stratrider New Member

My first wife would join us in the section room when we returned from field exercises and help clean our crew served weapons (Germany, circa 1985ish). She could strip, clean and reassemble a '60 faster than anybody. Second wife supported me in my gun purchases. My latest and last loves to shoot and hunt, but she's not into cleaning them like I'd like. Maybe I should run an ad?

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

My wife is an Endowment Life NRA Member. She is a NRA Refuse To Be A Victim trainer. She is a Concealed Carry Permit holder, and will soon be certified to train Concealed Carry Classes and train NRA First Steps Pistol and NRA Basic Pistol.

She shoot 2" groups at 21 feet lastnight with a Rugar MKII target pistol in a home indoor pistol range she helped build.

Married 30 years, this year she has gotten into guns and football. Go figure.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  17. DrFootball

Heh, Heh,...My Wife was into football before she met me. I used to kid her that the only reason she wanted to date me in the first place we're my (at that time) GIants seasons Tixx....

18. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

The lovely lady in my life eggs me on. She shoots all of my guns, evaluates all of them according to how "cool" they look. Has her own bucket list of guns. Has killed more (and bigger) deer than I have. And asks to go shooting at least once a month. The only time she complains is if one of them stays leaning against the wall by the bedroom door too long, or if she is running out of closet space because of ammo storage.

19. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I married a model, so in other words, "Hell no!". :eek: That is ok though. I am still a happy man. ;)

20. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

It's the wife here... No she can't because she's busy cooking your supper! lol! The "chores are divided" let's say. I will and I have but it IS rather dirty and stinky. I am busy doing "other things" usually (there is list of 1,000 things I am sure) ;)
    I bought him some Frog lube the other day so when he cleans them in the bedroom this winter it will not be as wicked. Now makes me wonder what he thinks about this. lol!