Shaw Rifles

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by reomack, Jul 31, 2020.

1. reomack

reomack Member

Does anyone here have any experience with Shaw rifles? And before anyone gives me flak about Shaw rifles being nothing more than Savage actions with Shaw barrels attached, I am aware. However it is my understanding that Shaw does considerable work on the actions to ensure satisfactory results for their rifles. The reason I am asking is that Shaw has a sale ongoing with a 10% reduction in price, and before I obligate any money I would like to hear about the rifles from someone with first hand knowledge.

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

3. reomack

reomack Member

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Reomack,I really don't know what Shaw could do to improve a Savage action. It is a waste of time to True a Savage action since they use a Floating Bolt Head design,the bolt always centers the cartridge in the chamber.
    The Extractor and Ejector have always been,and will always be an issue with a Savage action. Believe me,I know. I have 8 Savage actions that I've done everything you can do to one to get it to always extract & eject the cartridge. I swap out the factory bearing under the extractor with a larger bearing before I ever shoot a Savage action.That usually fixes the extraction problems for a while,then you have to replace a worn extractor. On rifles that I shoot a lot,I replace the extractor & spring as well as the ejector spring at least once or twice a year. I keep many of them in stock all the time.

Then you have the ole Savage double stroke when it comes to operating the bolt when chambering a round out of the magazine. Savage is a push feed bolt,on some cartridges this isn't a problem,but on others you have to actually stop forward movement of the bolt so the cartridge doesn't get jammed into the barrel face,and let the cartridge line up with the chamber before you can push the bolt forward and close it.

I like Savage action's,they are cheap and easy to assemble a custom rifle in your home shop/garage in a few minutes with a couple simple tools and headspace gauges.
    But,They do have their flaws,and you won't see many people using them in timed competitions because the issues that they have.
    For a Target or Hunting rifle,they are hard to beat because they can be very,very accurate. I've put a couple of Shaw barrels on mine,and they shoot excellent with my hand loads.

SRK97, Mercator and schnuffleupagus like this.
  5. reomack

reomack Member

Thanks for the input. I currently have three Savages and have not had the problems you speak of. But then it sounds like you shoot them a great deal more than I do.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  6. reomack

reomack Member

Well I decided to go a different route. I am having a rifle built on a Zastava LK M70 action. It will have a McGowen barrel and all the typical action work. I will buy a Boyds walnut stock with most of the options. At the age of 78 this will likely be my last rifle purchase. Then again maybe it won't!

7. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Is that why the mag fed Savage bolt actions have a sloppy feel to them?