sharpening knives

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by shnorse, Sep 17, 2008.

1. shnorse

shnorse New Member

I never got the hang of sharpening knives on a sharpening stone... never turned out like it does from the factory... so i have switched to utility blades, use them, brake them.. throw um out, i have 100 of them... no big deal...

however, i would like to have a nice folder... how long, i don't know what is legal in NYS, is there a limit?

how do you sharpen your knives?

Do these work at all?
    [​IMG]

thanks for the help,
    erick

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

I'm not sure about over there but most places the switchblade can't be any longer than the width of the palm of your hand
    as for sharpening my knives i use a water sharpening stone
    water stones are nice because they don't require any lubricant just water and they tend to be better for you knives
    you can pick one up for about ~$70
    and don't forget about the 90-45-30 degrees rule when sharpening
    :D

3. shnorse

shnorse New Member

probably why they turn out like poo...

what is this rule?

4. junho806

junho806 New Member

what turned out like poo?

oh its just a rule that i like to keep in mind
    so when you sharpen you blade
    first you place the blade at a 90 degree angle to the stone
    then 45 degrees
    and finally 30 degrees
    and they you start sharpening keeping it at a constant 30 degrees

5. glockfire

glockfire New Member

Spyderco Sharpmaker my friend, google it.

6. mpoirier22114

mpoirier22114 New Member

glockfire is right they are a good sharpener

7. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

I've been using a Smiths Standard kit for years to sharpen knives and it works quick and easy .

They sell for under $30 here

http://www.dowdlesports.com/catalog/knives/knife_sharpening.htm

I picked up mine at a Mart store for about that many years ago but I haven't seen them in years in Wall or K Mart .

They have a guide to make sure you keep the blade at the correct angle while sharpening a knife .

8. CARNUT1100

CARNUT1100 New Member

That Accusharp thin g in the photo is bad news!
    Yes, it will make a knife pretty sharp but it will never get it REALLY sharp and it removes quite a lot of metal each time it is used.
    Have one for the cheap knife you use for really rough work if you must, but never use it on a good knife.

I like diamond stones, also used with water.
    They cut good and never develop a dish in them.

9. shnorse

shnorse New Member

i had a bad feeling about the accusharp... prolly why i only used them in the stores, never bought one.. never made it real sharp...

the 30, 45, 90, do you sharpen it at 90, or is this just mental to get you at the right 30* angle?

i never knew how to use the stone we have... im guesing it's decent..?

"ceramic whet stone, medium grit, MADE IN THE USA"

do you go back and forth or only one way when sharpening?

edit; after seeing youtube videos of them going forward and backward on the stone, i tried it... it did sharpen the blade, but it is no razor blade... my little box cutter iwill cut through a folder easily, and with the blade i sharpened, it needs effort..

am i trying to sharpen a knife to a point non existent... are your blades as sharp as a fresh utility blade after you sharpen them, or do i just need a lot more practice?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  10. Jables

Jables New Member

I totally agree. The only thing I use those sharpeners for is my cheap Wal-Mart special fish filleting knives. If I get a season out of my cheap $5 Wal-Mart knife, I'm happy. I also try to fish every weekend.

11. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

When I get done with a knife using my Smiths kit my wife uses them to cut up frozen chickens and I mean through the bones , and she does it with ease , that's pretty sharp and it takes less than 15 minutes to get it that way .

12. freefall

freefall New Member

if you're totally inept at sharpening, the lansky kit is hard to beat. Clamp it on the blade and you have the proper angle. Consistent angle is the key to sharpening a knife. If you keep changing it will never get sharp. It's not always fast, a dull blade takes time to sharpen. If it's really bad, take it to a pro like your local knifemaker or butcher supply shop. Ask him to show you how. Then use your lansky before it gets really bad next time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. CARNUT1100

CARNUT1100 New Member

A properly sharpened knife will shave the hairs off your arm like a cutthroat razor, but it is not actually reccommended to try, as it is painful if you get it wrong!
    I usually sharpen closer to 25 degrees for most things and even at 35+ for heavy duty stuff that is going to be chopping and so on.
    I hate blunt knives with a passion!

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Lowes, Home Depot, etc, usually carry the Smith Tri-Hone stones, with oil and a plastic guide, $25.

Flea markets and gun shows always, since the beginning of time, carry P.O.S. Pakistani folders. Crude and ugly, the true blademaster stays far away from these. Get 2 or 3, in different shapes and sizes.

Now practice. They will have no edge to begin with. If you manage to sharpen one, the junk steel won't keep the edge beyond opening your bills. Re-sharpen. Do it wrong, scuff it up, doesn't matter.

When you can put an edge on these consistently, you will have learned.:)