Shaping your holster

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by W. C. Quantrill, Jul 11, 2012.

1. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

When making a holster, I find it important to shape it to the gun that will live in it. Here is how I do it.

Wet the leather, and fold it around the gun.
    [​IMG]
    vac pack it over night

[​IMG]
    shaped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Finished.

This is a light everyday carry shuck patterned after a Texas Ranger design of the late 1930's. Brill- Austin pattern. I see that Barranti has essentially this same holster starting at $150. I have $9 in leather and about 2 hours time in this one.

2. kycol

kycol New Member

Cool I like leather holsters and that is a great looking one

3. W. C. Quantrill

This holster presents you with a proper grip, the gun sets high, and the loop band is set for a 2" leather belt, this holster stays put and doesnt flop around.

4. kycol

kycol New Member

I wish I had the talent and patience to do that, hats off to you

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Doesn't leather shrink a little when it gets wet?

6. W. C. Quantrill

Nothin to it, you just take a chunk of leather and fold it over and cut off what dont look like a holster. Its like grinding a knife blade, you just take a chunk of steel and grind off what dont look like the blade you have in mind.

7. W. C. Quantrill

It stretches when it gets wet, so that is why you vacuum it down, and let it set over night to form.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not really but yes - Leather drys to what it "shrinked" to if that makes sense- If what its being shrinked "to" gives then well --- It conforms or moulds kind of like clay ? Dont wet a strip & put it tight around your windpipe tho :eek: :D

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'll try not to. :cool:

10. W. C. Quantrill

Oh, I forgot to add, you can also do this to a store bought holster. Some of them are just a stiff boot, throw them in a sink of warm water for a little bit and when they are pliable, then put your plastic wrapped gun down in them and vac pack them, or belt them on and wear them dry. The holster will form to the gun. If you "work" it on the outside with your fingers, be sure and clip your finger nails close or it will have permanent cat scratches in it.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats a fact- I've bought several of those $19.99 leather hunter wanna be holsters from Acadamey - Trimed them & wet moulded to fit whatever :)

12. W. C. Quantrill

Yessir. I just did one of the little Hunters for this little Single Six convertible. It made all the difference in the world.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I actually HAD to do one to fit my XD 45 Tactical cause leather is scarce for the 5" barreled XD's :(

14. W. C. Quantrill

That is why I make mine. I can buy a side of leather for $150. That will make 15 or so holsters and some left over. That is $10 per holster and a couple of hours. To buy one like I can make, would cost $100 at least. I can copy any holster that I have seen

Unless you put out the $ and buy a custom holster, or make your own, sometimes you just have to re-shape one that you can get your hands on, and if it works, then you won.

15. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Have made a 1/2 dz or so.........went to extra effort blocking.

Never thought about "baggin" them.......duh.Thanks for the brain jog!

What are you using for thread?I've used dental floss and sinew(both natural and synthetic).

16. W. C. Quantrill

I happen to have a saddle maker close by and I just give him a call and run by and he sews them on the top stitcher using heavy saddle thread.

17. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

You can get a nylon waxed hand sewing thread in several colors from tandy leather.