Shaking while shooting.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Hectocotylus, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

So whenever I am shooting my hands shake a bit which makes it impossible for me to be very accurate. Am I the only one? I feel like I can't hold my hands perfectly steady even without a gun in them. This leads to jerking the trigger and other bad things. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

2. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Can you give us a little more information about you, the firearm, and how you're shooting?
    - What's your shooting experience with this gun/ in general?
    - What type of gun are you shooting? handgun, rifle, revolver, semi, bolt....
    - Are you standing up supporting the gun on your own, or on a rest of some sort?
    - What was the weather like that day?

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

In addition to these things, your diet can actually play a part in your overall steadiness as well. If you consume a lot of sugars or fats, or not enough protein, that could also be the culprit

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I shoot a .22 handgun mosins that kind of stuff. Every day I can't hit a 10 x 10 target at 100 yards 5 out of 10 times with a mosin. And yes I have tried other guns it is not an firearm accuracy issue. I have shot using a rest and that is better but I just can't understand people hitting anything past a hundred yards without a bench rest. Maybe I am weird or maybe it calla for more ammo...

5. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Oddly enough, I shake if I don't have the right amount of caffine.

I know that it's not withdrawal, I can go months without it, but still shake when I shoot - unless I have a few cups of joe before hand.

Psychosomatic maybe? When I was first introduced to shooting, I drank coffee like 8-10 cups a day.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Diet, and grip. IMHO.
    Pay attention to your diet, eat healthily, and remember, everything in moderation.
    Grip. On a handgun, you WILL shake if your trying to strangle the gun, but I seem to doubt that's the case with a .22.
    For me, shooting is therapeutic. It calms me. When I'm laying prone behind a rifle, still as a statue, and can see my heartbeat disturbing the sight picture, I know I'm in my zone.

7. PlaysWithZombies

I don't mean to sound like a psyche obsessed left winger, but do you have any traumatic experiences involving a firearm? Because that can play a huge role in your current interractions with guns, it is easily overcome under the correct circumstances though

8. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Was that directed to me? Or the OP?

9. PlaysWithZombies

lol the op, you seem to have a handle on your own psyche

10. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Most of the time, anyway. :rolleyes:

11. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Lol no trauma only fun with firearms. I will try the caffeine idea though. I am not trying to strangle anything and I can hit anything short range no problem as well as skeet. It is the long range I can't seem to get

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Try 60/40 w weak hand - ensure clean release. firm but not to the point of shaking if that makes sense. W fixed sights, I was amazed how much my grip influenced point of impact.

Some times it's the simple things, when was the last time your vision was checked ? It may not be you...

13. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I am a total wacko, so I had to learn to weave to counter act the shake. Now I can hit the bullseye every time. Confidence plays an important part in steadiness. Start with closer targets for a while and at each shoot move the target out a few extra feet. Soon, you will be hitting them at 1000 feet with a deadly eye and a steady hold.

14. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

It isn't gripping too tight I don't think. Are there ways to generally slow down the body for longer distances? I know I wont be perfect but anything is better than nothing.

15. PlaysWithZombies

Practice practice practice, is the best advice i can give. Learning the difference between pulling the trigger, and squeezing it is also important.

You'll get a lot of advice, both here and on your local range. Pay attention to what more experienced shooters tell you and, most importantly, practice as much as you can. As long as you're patient you'll find yourself improving a little at a time, just stick with it friend! you'll eventually get where you want to be

16. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Just curios, what are you shooting? Rifles or pistols?

If you are shooting pistols, you may have some difficulty reaching out to 1000 feet.

17. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

"When I shoot bullseye pistol matches, for example, I breath twice between each shot. As the second breath is being let out, I raise the pistol and bring the sights into alignment. As soon as the breath is out, I perfect the sight alignment as I break the trigger. Then I inhale and lower the pistol. There is a similar pattern for most shooting that requires more accuracy than speed."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110812164747AAPuiiI

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Interesting thread. Thanks, Hectocotylus. I notice my hands shake, too, when I shoot handguns. I am older and my hands aren't as strong as they used to be and I attribute it to that. But I will try some of the ideas mentioned here in this thread. I often use a rest but I would like to be proficient with no rest at all.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Movement or wobble while holding the gun has nothing to do with jerking the trigger. FIGHTING the movement has everything to do with jerking the trigger. The wobble is probably less an issue than you want to make it out to be. Relax, breathe, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, trigger control, proper follow through. The shot will be pretty darn accurate when you let it happen. Forcing the shot will really screw up your accuracy.

20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why do I have an image of Barney Fife in my head? :D

Sorry Hecto, other then that observation I have nothing to add to the good advice already posted.