Shaking from shooting?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by thum1995, May 4, 2013.

1. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

I've noticed when I go shooting my right hand shakes, a lot. Normally I only shoot long guns and from a bench or with a sling it isn't noticeable, but if I shoot pistol I'm all over the place. My left hand doesn't shake anywhere near as much as my right but I can't shot left handed. Anybody else have this problem, if so how did you overcome it or do I just live with it?
    I hope this is the correct section to put this in.

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

How heavy is the gun and are you strong enough for it? Try working out!?

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I see it all the time for various reasons. I need more info. Are you shooting long guns prior to your handgun? Are there people around you? Are you stressed? Is your heart pumping while loading your gun or are breathing heavy? Does the gun have a big recoil? Is it a very light gun? Etc...

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

could be a medical condition. might try seeing doctor and having it checked out.

5. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

I was shooting a Glock in .40 so weight is no issue. Yes there were other people at the range, and yes I've shoot long guns for year and only shot handguns occasionally. My hand shakes every time I shoot: rifle, pistol, shotgun it just isn't as noticeable with long guns.

6. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

It was a Glock in .40 weights no issue. I work out daily.

7. Axxe55

could be nerves, could be high blood pressure. could be many different things. do you consume large intakes of drinks with caffiene?

8. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

Could be caffeine, my blood pressures normal (any other time) I'm not sure about nerves. I was thinking maybe I should try and shoot alone see if it's any better.

9. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

Could be nerves or caffeine, I never really thought about that. My blood pressure is usually normal. Thanks, Ill lay off the caffeine and try shooting alone and see if it's any better.

10. Axxe55

might check into seeing a doctor. get a full check up done. does this happen when doing other activities or just shooting?

what type of work do you do for a living? could be muscle fatigue.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Were you the deputy in Blazing Saddles?

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I always shake the first few minutes from excitement.

13. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

That happens to me too!

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Could be a great many things. Short of a nuerogical exam, I'd suggest a "weak side" stance.

Take a 1/2 step forward with your off side foot. This will turn your weak shoulder toward the target.

As you present your pistol to the target you'll be pressing your strong side bicept into your strong side pectoral muscle. Now raise your arm up above your peck and drop your arm back to perpendicular. This will rest your bicept on your peck and increase the reach of your weak hand allowing it to put strong steady back pressure on your firing hand.

Doing it right should take the shake away and allow you to shoot more accurately.

Tack

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Happens to me occasionally, from nerves. Yes, shooting makes me nervous, but not because of what you would think. I'm not scared. I'm competing with myself. I know how good of a marksman I am, and I'm trying to better myself. There have been many times I've just set my gun down and walked away. I'll go take a piss, wash my hands, have a drink of water. Used to smoke a cigarette between strings. HEY!! Do you smoke? That could have something to do with it.

Anyways... I just pay attention. When I feel the tremor start to happen, or I see my sights wobble more than what's normal, I just take a break. I've also been known to do some calisthenics between strings. Helps to loosen up some muscles that I've been concentrating on during shooting.

What's the weather like where you are lately? For me, I'm like a reptile, I thrive in the sun and heat. Makes me feel good. Awake and aware, loose and relaxed. The cold... I hate the cold. My shoulders tense up, my legs tremble, I shiver constantly... Even when I'm dressed warmly, which is always because I hate it so much. Cold weather, to me, is about as terrible as a bathtub full of spiders. I get migraines from being so tense. Even my eyebrows hurt from my forehead being tensed in cold weather. I don't even like restroom breaks because I have to touch THAT with my cold hands, and then a full bladder just makes me even more miserable.

As said, there's also just the prospect of other shooters. Human nature is to shy away from loud, sudden noises. Look at little Albert and the white rat (YouTube it). Little Albert comes to associate the cuddly white rat with a loud gong, and suddenly that white rat don't seem so cuddly anymore. You may not have a conscious fear of guns. But you may be associating loud sudden noises with other people shooting guns. This could wreak havoc on your mind and body. Make sure you are using proper fitting ear plugs. I prefer gunfire to sound like a muffled pop during practice. If it doesn't, I adjust or replace my plugs. I use cheap foam rubber plugs too, you don't have to get fancy. I've lost too much hearing from machinegun fire to NOT try to protect what I have left...

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I bought some spray paint and the instructions said to shake vigorously before use. I did and hurt my neck so bad I had to go to the doctor. Were you following any (my lawyer and I maintain) poorly written instructions perhaps?

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  17. Axxe55

gee Hock, i am sure your sarcastic remarks are real helpful here to the OP.

if you can't offer something constructive to the issue the OP has, then try exiting the thread. it would be appreciated by all.

18. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

I believe it's the adrenaline surge. The loud noises, excitement, and anticipation of shooting prompt the parasympathetic (flight) system to kick in which causes the adrenaline buildup. After shooting for a while that surge can cause muscles to fatigue much faster. The combination of the slight muscle fatigue and consequent adrenal dump is usually what causes the shakes.

Had that when I first started shooting. Usually happens to new shooters or those switching to new weapons. Slowly focusing on basics like grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and follow through, usually will allow you to condition yourself to work amongst it as opposed to against it.

19. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

Tack

Thanks for the stance advice, ill try that next time I'm out! I was never really taught how it shoot more of a line up the sights and don't point at any one, treat as if loaded kind of teacher.
    Trip

Weather here's great, sunny and 75ish. I only smoke socially so I doubt that would help but ill try taking a break when it starts then try again.

I have noticed it decreased the longer I'm out shooting and as I become more familiar with the gun so maybe that's part of it.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh, I don't recommend smoking! I smoked for over half my short life, and regret it severely. I was thinking that if you're a chain smoker like I was, then you may be starting to feel the effects of withdrawal within 30 minutes.