SGworks SKS Bullpup

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by zaitsev44, Nov 10, 2013.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Can anyone tell me about them? They look pretty cool, and they don't look like they're junk. Does anyone have one or know about them? They're twice the price of the Tapco 6 position stocks (they're $224 for the combo one), and they have 3 rails and it looks cool. It looks practical too. Plus I don't think it requires any modification to the rifle, and it can be used with any type except the Albanian model. Thanks for any and all feedback!

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of bullpups. Mag changes are usually more difficult. Your head is usually right by the ejection port, or what I consider to be too close to the breach of the gun.

This particular Bullpup looks like it would be even more of a pain for mag changes, because most SKS larger capacity/detachable mags tend to be a pain to swap quickly. Often aftermarket mags cause feed problems. The flip up port cover looks like it may pop up from time to time while shooting, understandable since the SKS is a top ejector. This still puts your face near that ejection port and flip up door.
    The charging handle location requires you to move the hand from the pistol grip to recharge or clear jams. Stripper clip feeding is a bit slower as well with the need to open the port cover.
    Usually bullpups and especially conversions make triggers worse.

When all is said and done it is still an SKS, not a great enhancement that makes it better as a fighting rifle. It could make a cool conversation piece and range toy, but not much else. If that's worth $100-250 then go for it.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've said this 100 times but too many people try to turn an SKS into something it's not, generally an AR or AK which it is a substitute for neither. The kit looks like a Styer Aug which is $1800 so it is kinda a cheaper alternative if you really like that style, but a (roughly) $400 SKS and a $224 stock we're already in AR or AK territory price wise. Even if you already own the SKS, you are really trading that rifle for the bullpup in a way.

If you really like it, go for it but if your are looking for a practical 'tactical' rifle, you can do much better.

4. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I don't think I am gonna put it in a bull pup stock anytime soon. Just testing the waters, I might just get a tapco collapsible stock whenever it's in sale for about $70.

5. sputnik1988

I think you need one of these;) I've held one once, most ergonomic rifle I've ever touched.

http://www.steyrarms.com/microsites/aug/#1

Attached Files:

6. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I'd have to sell a kidney for one of those! Haha!

7. sputnik1988

8. sputnik1988

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

10. sgthooah04

sgthooah04 New Member

So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one here has any hands on experience with this particular bullpup kit?
    I'm seeing people bash it but not a lot of I'v shot it stories about it. I'm curious about it as well

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Then buy one and let us know.

12. smith76

smith76 New Member

Shernic Bullpup

I built mine last week. Turned out pretty cool. The conversion was fairly easy. Only had to make a few adjustments. Once built I made adjustment to the trigger a couple times to get it to shoot rite. Same old sks trigger. No better no worse. This conversion seems to balance the rifle better than the old one. Havent added sights yet. Just dumped two twenty round clips off the back deck. Makes a boring old rifle fun to shoot. Overall I think it was an experiment worth doing. Worse thing that could have possibly happened was losing $220 and making an unimpressive rifle worse. I give Shernics bullpup a thumbs up.

13. sgthooah04

sgthooah04 New Member

Thanks for the info Smith. I have a kit enroute hopefully it will arrive sooner then they are saying. I'll post more info and hopefully some pics once I get it and start the conversion.

14. smith76

smith76 New Member

Forgot to post a pic the other nite.

ForumRunner_20131214_222819.jpg

15. smith76

smith76 New Member

Thinkinking about cutting the barrel to 16 inches adding a muzzle brake adapter and later a suppressor just for fun if its not too much trouble. Still gotta decide on sights first. Any suggestions?

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Wow they look pretty darn good. I wonder how it would look on a Yugo M59/66 with the grenade launcher at the end of the barrel.

17. hmh

hmh New Member

I do not know about this bull pup system but be careful that you do not go under the legal overall length if you cut your barrel.

18. smith76

smith76 New Member

Seen them on the yugo they look good

19. sgthooah04

sgthooah04 New Member

I'm thinking of doing the same with the one I have ear marked for this stock. But like was stated make sure your over all length is at or over the legal limit. Which is 26 inches if I remember right. The barrel still has to be at least 16 inches as well.

As for sights I'm thinking a micro red dot or something similar. But that's just my own prefrence. You could try some rail mounted irons and see how they work out.

How is the fit of the action in the stock? Is it pretty solid or does it fit loosely? Just wondering if I should get some bedding compound while I wait on the stock to come In

20. smith76

smith76 New Member

They action is solid as a rock. Even more solid than the stock version of the rifle.