Setting up bob

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by shawn_c2000, Dec 29, 2012.

1. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Okay so I'm setting up a bug out bag and yes I have my own ideas but I wanna see what everyone else would have in there's to get more ideas so y'all may begin postin:p

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

An often overlooked item is multiple forms of fire starters, and tinder. There are a ton of fire starters out there, and there are a bunch of ideas for tinder. For tinder I use tampons. Most come in a water proof package, they are lite take up almost no room, and one tampon when opened up will give you more than enough tinder to get a fire going.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We have a lot of stuff but the basics include, a flint, multi-tool, foldable shovel, tarp, mini tent, some MRE's, paracord, first aid kit, toiletries, toilet paper in ziploc bag etc. hubby will post pic of some of the stuff we put in there if he can find it.

4. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Find the pic or the bag??? Lol

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Haha. We had a pic of the stuff that was in the bags. That's what I was looking for. Here's a pic of just the bag itself with a machete sticking out. My niece was wearing it.

image-1954456184.jpg

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

There are alot of posts on starting and what's in a BOB (not to be confused w/a GHB). Isn't there a sticky here? I think most like forums have such...

Zombie, I beg you guys to reconsider hauling around MRE's.

PS: Niece has a great smile!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Looks heavy as crap lol

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

They're actually really flat ones. I'll post a pic later. They're not full sized ones. Yes she does. She's my cutie pie.

9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

It's not heavy, she's just itty bitty. Haha

10. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Haha yes she is :)

11. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Hocka, I guess I shouldn't have called them MRE's. We do have those too so that's why I generically called it that. Here's the size. It's flat and skinny.

image-391360912.jpg

12. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

What do y'all think about a bottle of multi vitamins ? I know it seems silly but without the right vitamins your screwed right? In the wild if you can't get all your vitamins and nutrients that'll help?

13. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We have that too.

14. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Okay water bottle or hydration bladder ? Wait ... Ah hell nvm ill just get both ;)

15. domdabears

domdabears New Member

Clothes! Unless you wanna wear the same thing everyday.

16. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Hmm stocking up on thermals also

17. domdabears

domdabears New Member

Yeah, some thermal "long johns" would be great. Wouldn't take up much room either. I got thermal socks in mine.

18. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We just have canteens.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Zombie, that actually looks like it could be an entre pack FROM an MRE and that's the stuff everyone who has to carry them takes out -- half the carp goes in one pile and the edible stuff goes with you. I just hope u don't ever break one of those nails!

Multivitamins - ayup!

You can only carry so much water -- it's heavy. Be prepared to carry some, filter and purify more, hydrating yourself when able. In addition to a couple of small collapsible canteens, in my GHB/light BOB I keep a 2-gallon Stansport Water Bag. It only weighs a few ounces. Think of it as an inexpensive semi-disposeable short term solution to transport more water from where you can get it and to carry an emergency supply with you if necessary.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  20. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I like to break down everything into categories starting with the most important.

1. Water
    2. Food
    3. Shelter
    4. Hygiene
    5. Medical
    6. Defense
    7. Information
    8. Entertainment

From there I add sub categories i.e. "A. Canteen" under the category of water. I also further divide subcategories such as listing a sharpener under the subcategory of "knife". That lets me keep up with what I have and helps point out all the little items that are easy to over look like a knife sharpener, cleaning kit for a rifle, and nail clippers for hygiene.

Think very hard about the items you list and all that goes with each item. You might list socks but socks alone aren't enough. You want clean dry socks to prevent hypothermia, trench foot, and/or some foot fungus. Now how are you going to ensure you have clean dry socks?

The danger in listing items this way is that it's easy to make a list of stuff so large that you couldn't possibly carry it all, or couldn't carry it far. Keep weight at an absolute minimum.

Just my .02:)