Serrated Triggers?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Dr. Marneaus, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Yran 250 rounds through my Model 66 which has the skinny serrated trigger. Probably 235 of those shots were double action combat type shooting.

I didnt notice it until I was done but I wore a hole through the side of my finger.

This has REALLY got me thinking about grinding off the serrations and having a smooth trigger. I'm pretty handy and dont doubt that I could do a decent job on this but....

Is this going to kill the value of a 66 no-dash, or do people not really even know/care? the gun is by no means mint condition anyway and has some minor pitting under the grips. It looks good and functions great but it's not some collectors piece, I bought it to use it, carry it, train with it, and use it some more. Is there any real reason NOT to make a modification that will increase its usability and function for me?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Long ago I took a brand new- still-in-the-box Model 10 to the Academy range. Between trigger and hammer, developed bloody fingers. OUCH! :(

Yes, fiddling with the trigger will lower value. However, replacing it with a smooth trigger (and keeping original on hand)- not so much.

And for $22 you can buy a smooth Tyler trigger shoe.

http://www.t-grips.com/SandWtriggers.html

3. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

That trigger shoe may be a viable option.

I'm not going to buy a new trigger and pay a gunsmith to install it just so I can keep my old one on hand. That is coat preventative in this situation

4. tlay

tlay New Member

Serrated triggers are great for single action or target shooting but suck for double action shooting. The best advice is to buy a smooth trigger and put it in. It really is not that hard. But if you don't have the ability the smooth trigger shoe is an option. But you still will have the serrated center. I will help you if you want to try to install a smooth trigger, just email me and we can set up a call.

5. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I would be fine installing the actual trigger but I am concerned with how to fit it to the sear. I think that would need somebody more skilled than I

6. tlay

tlay New Member

If you buy the matching hammer and trigger from any earlier K frame you will be o.k. I just did a model 66 for a friend with the same thing. The hammer and trigger are color case hardened and the gun now looks like an early nickel model 19! I buffed the stainless steel until it shines.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Dr,

Sure shouldn't be any problem smoothing off the surface of your existing trigger. With a little grinding with a Dremel and some precision filing and some emery cloth to polish it smooth. But they do make a Smooth Trigger for the K Frame. They come in a target wide trigger or a standard width trigger. I have had both but prefer the standard thickness smooth trigger. In the past I have had them on both the K Frame Revolvers and also an N Frames. I prefer them over the standard serrated triggers.

8. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

To each his own. Factory installed a serrated trigger, once when they sent the Trooper back. I hated it and back it went. The sharp edges bothered my finger to no end, double action especially.

9. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Yup, I mean i'm not a wimp but after 200+ rounds in double action my finger was blistered and then it popped when i wahsed my hands.

10. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

That sounds like a good idea.

A retired gunsmith I know said that they would still need to be fitted to my frame though :-(

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The fitting is easy if you know what you are doing. Armorer, advanced tinkerer, gunsmith with S&W experience should be able to do it easily.

The earlier S&W stainless revolvers had vapor blasted hammers and triggers. They were NOT stainless steel. Removing the grooves will leave a mirror finish that is prone to rusting.

I have converted some triggers in the past. Replacing with a smooth trigger and fitting it is easier.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Please do not use a trigger shoe on a self defence weapon, unless you have it tack welded in place..

New trigger, all the way.

For a defensive revolver, another excellent option is to have the armoror grind off the cocking notch so you can't fire it SA. That will force you to do all of your practice DA.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a 3" model 65 with a S&W DAO hammer. No single action capability, no spur to interfere with the draw. W/O adjustable sights it is a snag free dream. 3" barrel gives good velocity and has full length ejector rod so empties clear the cylinder.