Serrated or Fine edge for a Survival Knife?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by indyfan, Jul 13, 2012.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I'm purchasing a fixed blade survival knife. What would be better on a survival knife, fine edge or serrated blade?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Both. Harder to sharpen - some knives have edges on both sides, most just have the first 1/3 serrated then straight edge, flat grind.

3. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Most $60 offerings offer either full straight or half serrated. If you plan to spend more than that, you'll have a harder time finding serrated. Both have different purposes, but I find myself needing a straight blade with a sharp edge and point more often.

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I just picked up a Ka-Bar 7" serrated knife at Cabelas fo $60+tax. The serrated part is at tge bottom.

image-2370929025.jpg

image-2813747394.jpg

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I run a smooth blade 5" K-BAR and a 15" Sven Saw in the backpack. For cutting mule tape or rope I have a small Swiss Army knife that has a good serrated blade on it for that.

142.jpg

144.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

got one of these okc marine bayonets on backorder.

[​IMG]

i dont know much about knives but being able to turn it into a spear could be handy...

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Straight for me. I can sharpen that myself.:)

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yep, I prefer to be able to sharpen my own knife, never cared for serrated blade

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have both.

My primary field knife is a 1/3rd serrated, 2/3rds straight blade in titanium from Mission Knives.

I recently added a full steel, bad ass kukri from "Kukri House" that was custom built for my frame/grip and it will flat get the job done in any wilderness I have been in. Full tang, flat grind, that I was able to enhance with some sharpening to shave hair.

A water purification kit in a small backpack that is easily transportable, with a few more supplies, handles my perceived "survival" situations. ;)

JD

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I would go with a plain blade for a survival knife because of 1 ease of sharping 2 you mite be doing a little chopping with it so you would want a knife that is thick . I only try to buy knives that are made of carbon steel , they sharpen easer and hold there edge better then stainless steel IMO.
    I have Ranger D 7 bush knife from Ontario knives , and it a beast .

image-1321050255.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  11. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I personally prefer a straight edge on knives. Serrated edge knives are more adept for cutting breads. I have a buckmaster 184 that I always take into the field with me.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Does the buckmaster have a serated option?

The breadmaster 184, hahaha

I prefer a straight edge too

13. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I have a Cold Steel SRK, which is straight edge that is awesome. I've used it for a little bit of everything on camping and hiking trips and it is one tough blade.

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Dillinger: I agree, kukri is awesome design. Check out Cold Steels two handed model - devastating and can be thrown 30 feet w ease. Check out their video.

I purchased spyderco's sharpening system and you can sharpen anything - serrated, straight or scissors etc. YouTube has plenty of videos on it. If you sign up for Cabelas CC, they usually give you a $20 credit which offsets the cost of sharper or knife of choice.

My EDC is Spyderco's para-military - S30V - straight edge.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012