Seriously this time.....!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Jan 12, 2018.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tell me this , were you hit with the ice storm ? Do you have utilities , water , electricity , ete. ?
    If you need shelter , I do have plenty of space ! You will always have somewhere to survive .
    This goes out to anybody in trouble ! In my life , my wife and I have helped five people and two families with children until they got on there feet .

I'll not let anybody suffer in this brutal weather , just ask and I know how hard that can be , it about broke me but I'm not going down easy so please , just ask ......!

2. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Many of us have been there, Dango.
    In 1967 we lived in Fairbanks, AK. A dam burst from excessive snow melt, and the whole town went under - three feet through our living room. We got our car and our lives out before it got too deep, that is all, and moved in with a friend that lived on the third floor of an apartment building. The next day, the flood had our car, too. I waded, swam, dove for canned goods in our flooded house - until they were all gone. No food, no money, no transportation, and Alaska winter on the way. I broke down and went to the Red Cross, asking for a sandwich for us, and some milk for our infant daughter. They quoted me the price - $6.50, IIRC. To this day, they lie and say they do not charge. Before I started committing mayhem and STEALING their food, a Salvation Army officer said "I can help you - come over here!" He gave us food, dry clothing, deodorant, toothbrushes and paste, and scheduled a BIG run to the apartment building we were in, where THOUSANDS had found refuge. Truck after truck, unloading WWII C-rations - and they were WONDERFUL!!!
    My church supports them monthly, and I can not walk past a kettle with a bell ringer even over half a century later.

3. dango

If all one sees is ugly in our world , I pray for God to open their eyes ! There is so much good in the world it overcomes the bad ! I pray that everybody put the bad where it belongs , not an everyday occurrence . It's all about perception ! I choose to see good in everything , nature , people , music , art and if you are that bitter , my prayers go out to you , for God to open your eyes , your hearts and see the good in all things .

Thank you God for the wonderful life I've had , for I see !

hawkguy, primer1, PaBushMan and 2 others like this.
  4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

We caught a bit of it, but being closer to the lake, the hills to our south got it way worse. Grantede, we were colder down here, but we didn't get hit anywhere near as hard as other places.

Biggest issue we had was the heat wave over the last couple days, which ended yesterday afternoon, melting the 5 feet of snow we had, which led to flooding in parts of the Erie metro area, and the county.

Flooding that started to freeze at that point, and ice jams in a couple of the creeks.

Aside from that, we still have heat, power, food, tv, phone, and internet, so doing well here.

That's whjy the wife and I are concentrating on doing what we can to help you out. You guys need it far more than we do at this point.

And it's what Family does.

Went out for my normal Saturday run to a few local shops. A few of the owners and employees I know were shown the page and filled in on what's going on. A couple donated on the spot, others will from home tonight.

May also have something else in the works, as well. I'll fill you in if I can make it happen.

And to some of the newer members who have come across this thread, this is not the first time we have done something like this.

Some of us who have been here for a while will remember a member on here named River Rat, and what happened with his dog, Toby. Long story short, when RR was having health problems, he spoke with another member on here, who promised him they would take in Toby, and find him a good home.

There were issues on RR's end that put toby's transport up i the air, and certain contacs were not made. When the member who made the promise, asked us for help in granting RR's dying wish, we pulled together as we are doing right here and now.

To help one of our own.

We even had members between NV and IL, volunteering to relay him from NV to where the other member could meet up with them, to pick him up. I think we got about a dozen or so who would have done so, along that route, and a couple more, who were willing to travel out that way to do it.

We had others who spent time on the phone, calling in favors, to try to set something up.

In the end, Toby was flown from NV to IL, picked up, taken in, and now lives with that member's son's family.

After that, raising a few thousand dollars via online donations, is piddly $#!+.

we're here for you and the wife Dango, and will do what we can. Just as you would do for any of us.

c3shooter, dango and MisterMcCool like this.
  5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

Had the same experience in 1962 (I was 8 YO.) Salvation Army showed up after a pair of tropical depressions (about 1 MPH below hurricane force) sat off the NJ coast and blasted us for 3 days. Full evacuation. On our return to Long Beach Island, Salvation Army was there to help. A week later Red Cross showed up offering help "at a discount". Boo hiss.

Dango, we've done it before, we'll do it again. We help our own. Prayers and contributions on the way.

dango, kfox75 and MisterMcCool like this.
  6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I will never donate to Red Cross again.:mad: I do donate to Salvation Army and Catholic Charities usually for specific crises. The Catholic Charities are volunteers and 100% goes where it is supposed to go. Salvation Army quietly goes to work and accomplishes a lot while Red Cross is beating the drum and giving very little. All Show and No Go. United Way is another I avoid.

Fred_G, kfox75 and Billy9mm like this.
  7. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

God Bless You Dango, was more than glad to go help. I will try my best to do more in the next few days. Our prayers are with you!

dango, kfox75 and MisterMcCool like this.
  8. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Dango, don't be ashamed to ask for help when you need it. We all know you would help each of us out if at all possible.

Donation sent. We'll see how far the goal gets to, maybe more once SS checks come in. But the greatest donation is love and prayers and you and your wife have got those too, in spades.

A "stiff upper lip" could be a sign of a frozen lip, so thaw out and hug your wife for us.

Please let us know if we can help in any other way. You guys are getting hammered.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

10. dango

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I just now came in the house to thaw out . It's so cold , like 3 degrees . Anyhow I spilled a bottle of water on me and my hands , dumb . I wanted to tighten one more fitting , grabbed a wrench , it stuck to my hand .....! :confused: Well , I guess I'm done for tonite , that kind-a hurt . Sheeeeze !

I have not had the nerve to even look at this begging for help but I will . Right now , I'm just glad to be upright and hugging my wife . Even if I did collect only $2 , I am still deeply touched by the compassion shown here more so than money . I cry because people actually care and in today's world , compassion is worth more than any money ......
    After I post this with some pics , I'm gonna look at the "go beg me thing" , I'm just not ready to cry again , still plucking icicles from crying out of joy from my cheeks working under that ole truck !
    As sure as the sun will shine , that truck will hit the road again as sure as I breath ! I started it , I'll finish it .......!

AmPaTerry, Billy9mm, Fred_G and 2 others like this.
  11. MisterMcCool

I got a lump in my throat. You will probably cry real tears.

12. MisterMcCool

13. dango

Well , I did it ....! Me and the wife are hugging , crying , speechless and don't even know how to act . We looked at our "you care" fund and I'm like a little baby , crying my eyes out baby ! What can I even say ? God , thank you for putting so many great people on my planet .

You all have given us that second chance we so needed now , I'm still the same physically broken man but my mental state and spiritual state is super human right now !

I'm seeing my whole life through clearer eyes and I have been on the right track the whole time ! Just recently , because of new meds , pushed beyond my mental and physical limits , I really don't know why but do know everybody has their limits ! Y,all have brought me back , my confidence , my reasoning , my non-faltering tenacity , I'm back and I will because of your compassion and faith in the wife and I , we are changed in the very best of ways !

God , thank you for hearing my pleas and to all those who's prayers have been heard also !
    I got to put the tears on hold , too cold , my face ain't going to make it but they are tears of joy , thankfulness , the good left in the world . I cry for all of us .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    AmPaTerry, Billy9mm, RJF22553 and 4 others like this.
  14. dango

I can't stop Mac , never been touched so deeply ......my head is about three sizes smaller from fluid loss , I truly can't stop crying ..........:)

AmPaTerry, Billy9mm, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  15. MisterMcCool

Thank you all for helping my friend. Bless you.

AmPaTerry, Billy9mm, RJF22553 and 3 others like this.
  16. dango

Thank you and everybody for being there for us !

AmPaTerry, Billy9mm, RJF22553 and 2 others like this.
  17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

E13226BA-25CE-4A9E-9D42-043E3868CB50.jpeg 7664DC33-F084-4C7D-BFA5-74F9E2B94539.jpeg
    I flew Toby to Illinois with the financial help of members here. Toby is happily living with my son. Here he is from a month ago when I visited family in Illinois. River Rat and I became friends here on FTF. I couldn’t turn my back on him and his dog.

NO KIDDING! WOW! Thank them all for us, Terry.
    Dango is a friend to all of us.

AmPaTerry, MisterMcCool and kfox75 like this.
  18. dango

If my wife and I can stop crying long enough to see my key board , all I can say is thank you , thank you , thank you , that you and God has blessed me more than I thought possible .

Many years have passed that I was confused , beaten and abused by a so called man of God ! It took many years to find myself with a father that did nothing but physically and mentally trash me me until I ran away from home .

I asked God many times , "God , how can my own father hate me so "? If I can't trust my own father , how can I trust anybody ? I doubted everything for a big part of my life ! It got so bad , my father was forced to seek professional help , my mother believed he would kill me one day ! She contacted a lawyer she went to college with to get help . The police did NOTHING , said just keep it inside ?

That man hated me and even now I don't understand . I even doubted God , are you there , can you help me , what must I do ?

One day many years after I left home I got my answer , God was there , he saw my situation and not many people would have survived that incident . Stranded for 11 days in sub-zero temps ! I suffered a bad concussion , dislocatated shoulder , this was before cell phones and I was far into the wilds ! I should have died , maybe one in a thousand even experienced out doors men might have made it . God gave me the strength and knowledge to survive that ! I truly should have died !
    By the 11 th day , I finally fought my way back to my truck against all odds .

I fell to my knees , cried again and thank God because without him , I could not have survived !
    That day restored my faith and put everything in perspective . God had nothing to do with my father . He was just a mentally sick man . Not only did God save me , he taught to me forgive my father and the maturity to know , it was never me , never anything I did or didn't do ! He was just sick ! When he passed , I forgave him for everything and prayed for his tortured soul because for reasons unknown to me , the man suffered most days of his life , never got to see the beauty of people or the world I live in!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  19. dango

I've blown my tough guy image all to heck ! I think I been crying for 30 hours straight ! I've ice hanging from my face for two days now and it's God sent ice !
    No matter what happens to any of us this winter , no matter how bad it gets or what minght happen to anyone of us or your whole family , I have plenty of space and my offer stands ! I,ll put up ant and all who are in a bad way ! You can share my home , my food , my bed cloths , anything I have is ours ! Over 2'000 ft of house and a huge heated shop that gets absolutely comfortable !
    All it needs is a new pump , temp gage and safety valve . Total cost max. $60 to absolute comfort , radiant heat coils running through concrete floor . In a SHTF thing , I can fit easily 50 people !

Don't do what I did , waited too long until I was in serious trouble , out of food , out of meds and all because of my stupid tough guy pride . You need help , you PM me , call , smoke signal me , I'm here just get a hold of me . DO ........!

JTJ, RKB, kfox75 and 2 others like this.
  20. RKB

RKB Active Member

Dango, as I've said here before, you have a lot of friends that you just haven't met yet. You folks hang in there.

SRK97, kfox75 and MisterMcCool like this.