SERIOUSLY!! Rattle can paint job?!?!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by archangel2003, Nov 26, 2013.

1. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

OK, Out visiting the Mother-in law's to work on her house doing some much needed repairs.
    Her boyfriend said he wanted to get rid of a Mosin and a Chinese 12 gauge knockoff of an Remington 870 clone.
    Both kick too hard now after the shoulder surgery and he does not shoot off hand.;)

Economy crashed, laid off, started a business with the wife and things are going better than projected but still not where I can spend that hard earned cash on anything else than to pay off the start up debt and regular bills

He offered the 12 Gauge for just less than 1/2 the listed price and he will toss in the Mosin with remaining ammo and everything associated for free.

Well, they seem to be in reasonably good condition except for the rattle can spray paint job.
    The Mosin even has a crisp looking bore from end to end.

I know I can get it off the wood Mosin stock, but don't want to harm the bluing on the metal parts.
    Also, the shot gun has the synthetic plastic stock (that was already black so why paint it?) and the paint is thickest on the 12 gauge.

He must have caught a lot of flack for the paint as the guns he is keeping are spotless, well oiled and could not get them ugly things off his hands fast enough.

They were his first guns and I dont know if he got them that way or did the dastardly deed himself.

The paint is on every exposed surface of both guns and I need suggestions on how to clean them without damaging them.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The citrus paint removers should not hurt anything but I am only guessing as have never used them on a gun.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I say just take sandpaper to it and restore it back to original when you're done.

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

You can't sandpaper something and "restore it back to original."

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Kwik strip. It's aggressive and you need gloves. It'll work on the Mosin, but won't leave any finish in the wood, but shouldn't harm the bluing. It might eat into synthetic stocks though. So, the shotgun, I would remove the plastic furniture, and strip the metal. You could sand and reprint the synthetic stock.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

try some paint thinner or acetone on a small spot. spray can paint isnt usually difficult to remove by chemical means. just some elbow grease and attention to detail.

do it outside wear gloves.

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It's a Mosin. It wasn't original to begin with. Most (the overwhelming vast majority) have gone through a refurb at least once. They are refinished, and reworked. Some parts are replaced and forced matched (which is why many have some electropencil serial numbered parts).

http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/information/refurbishment/index.html

I would try to save the old bluing, but if you can't it's not a big deal. As for the Chinese knockoff, well who cares if it's original.

When trip said "original", I assume he meant just retuning it to it's original type of finish, not to it's 100% original condition.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple of Mosin stocks that are in their "original" finish just collecting dust. They have the hardware still with them, and the varnish still looks good. If you would be intersted in one, i would take the painted one off your hands, and turn it into a project for the winter. PM me if you would be interested.

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Good advice above

I rattle canned some camo on a few AR mags a couple days ago, it's already rubbed off in a few spots. I don't imagine it would take much at all to remove it without adverse effects to the surface.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Not sure what it will do to the other finishes. But Goof-Off will remove the paint very easily. A kid went through our neighborhood tagging cars. I went out with some Goof-Off and a rag. It just wiped right off.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I would also try mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, and acetone, in that order. Don't kid yourself, Goof Off is no more gentle than the above.

12. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

I'll try the mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, acetone, and then Goof Off.

kfox75 was kind enough to offer a stock swap so all I have to worry about now are all the metal parts, the barrel, bolt and triger/housing.

13. SSGN_Doc

It would be nice to get some before and after pics to document progress if you go through with all the work.

14. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

I'm almost embarrassed to post before pictures it looks so bad!

I'll put it back together and snap a few.

BTW it came with a Hawk 982 all for $100 and the only issues seem to be the paint jobs and the Hawk needs a magazine extender with a proper length spring.

15. CAR

CAR Member Supporter

Acetone will eat the plastic.

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

+1, acetone and plastic almost never play well together.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. SSGN_Doc

Teh before pictures are really for the after. Then you can look back and say, "See how ugly this thing was before I fixed it back up". I've done a few guns that had been spray painted, dis assembled. had parts missing, etc. Then, when it's all done I hadn't taken any before pics, and there was nothing to show folks with regard to how far I had to go to get it to the finished state. I like to go to pawn shops and guns shops just looking to find a used gun that someone did something stupid but reversable to.

18. AGL4now

AGL4now New Member

I use brake cleaner.

19. archangel2003

archangel2003 New Member

I would only use the acetone on the metal parts.

Someone showed me a Boyds Prairie Hunter Walnut stock for $119.00

It would make it seem more traditional/American.

It's on my Christmas list.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Maybe, maybe not. You could try it on an inside part that you don't see 1st.