Serious thoughts on 300

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Shihan, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am thinking about getting this upper. 300BLK I think the price is going to make me end up buying it.

I may need to start Reloading.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Ammo (brass cased Remington factory 123gr FMJ) was supposed to hit retail hard already but they pulled it back for a redesign. At $11.99 its cheaper than x39 brass ammo. Its just a waiting game as of now.

Reloading for it would be fun considering all the .308 choices. I looked into it but wanted a Dillon 650. It would have been $900-1k to get started and right now my 2br home doesn't have the space. Theres a guy putting out preformed, primed brass for the .300blk. Its BradsWarehouse.com - Custom made 300 AAC Blackout Brass. If you go w/ the Delta barrel he might give you a price break on the brass.

Aaron @ Delta is a Disabled Vet from the 82nd in his mid 20s. He's a great guy to deal w/ and was very helpful w/ selecting my barrel.

I like the upper you have linked. My recommendation is going w/ a LW barrel attached to an A3 upper though.

3. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

My thought is.......How does it compare ballistically to the 7.62 X 39? I haven't done any research but aren't they somewhat similar? Worth considering given the ammo investment.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

5. Shihan

That's all I planned on, I ain't no sniper. I want to see the look on their face. :D

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Cheaper all the way around to get an AK/SKS derivitive then.

7. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

I pulled this off the net....FWIW in comparison to the 300

REASONS 7.62x39 wAS NOT CONSIDERED
    Extreme cartridge taper
    • Reduces reliability of feeding in AR Magazines
    • Reduces Magazine capacity
    • Cartridge taper induces considerably higher bolt thrust-
    exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    • Requires a larger Bolt Face which reduces Bolt Locking Lug strength-
    exacerbating the AR Bolt's weaknesses
    Limited projectile selection
    • 0.311" diameter not a common option in most modern bullets

Velocity and bullet weight @ 123 g was essentially the same. Knock yourself out Shihan!

8. Shihan

I have an AK, what I don't have is a 300BLK.

Maybe then I will go for .458, since that is what the kewl kidz have.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know Shi, the .300 Blackout is kind of designed around a short barrel, suppressed application.

However the 6.8 SPC is designed to be a short range (200-400 yard) knock your dick in the dirt type of round out of the same AR platform.

The 6.8 has about 7 or 8 years of an advantage over the .300 Black in that it's been on the market longer and people have been playing with it to achieve the maximum level of performance versus accuracy versus cost.

I believe they use the same lower, with vastly different lower configs though.

The .300 BLK is still such a new cartridge and unless you plan on kicking in doors to a Methlab with a suppressed weapon, it's just not a viable option in my opinion.

JD

10. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

Didn't mean to hijack the thread on the merits of the AK round, I just thought it might be worth considering.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What happened to the .50 Beowulf?? :confused:

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Qouted for troof! :D

Quite you! :p Don't listen to him Shihan. You know you want to be one of the kewl kidz ;)

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

.50 is bigger than .458 and size does matter...:p

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sure. Both of them have the ballistics of an airborne battleship.:rolleyes:

Why not spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a platform for a round that is designed to hit like a truck at spitting distance but be a moonshot to reach 225 yards??? :eek:

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It has been proven on hogs and deer out to 200 yards by guys such as the owner of Wilson Combat. If you want to read up on the .300 Silencer Talk has an entire .300 AAC BLK section.

Dillinger is correct about it being developed for suppression. However, it is a great option for AR guys wanting something more accurate but w/ the energy of the x39 round and many more ammo options.

Most of the testing and numbers given are from a 16" barrel.

My Leupold should be in tomorrow so I can get mine to the range and do some testing myself.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The .300AAC BLK is essentially the same as the .300 Whisper, which has been around for about 30 years. It never hit the mainstream because JD Jones refused to let it go mainstream. No SAAMI specs, etc. But the rd has merit. As JD mentioned it really shines when suppressed and out of SBRs.

The lighter, faster loads are fairly impressive. The heavy loads suppress very well. My buddy uses his AAC 9mm suppressor on his Whisper and it works great.

I'm with you Shi. Now that a major maker is behind the .300AAC BLK and factory ammo, brass and data will be available I'll need one.

17. Shihan

Besides, She likes AAC and I like her.

Attached Files:

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Tattoos are nice but the lobe plates I can do w/o.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

she would be hot without the ugly tattoos and cannibal earrings. facial piercings and those cannibal ear loops reminds me of a bulls in a pasture with rings in their noses... all branded up and ready to be led around. totally not sexy.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

She was at the SHOT show! In the booth. She actually knew quite a bit about their products.

However all the ink and the tackle box that exploded all over her head needs to go.

There is such a thing as "TOO FAR" when it comes "enhancing" your personal appearance. :eek: