Series 80 colt condition 2 carry

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Buckeyeborn, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

That is loaded hammer down with one in the pipe,What is your opinion ?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

That's not the way to carry a 1911.

3. cuba

cuba New Member

Though the series 80 has the passive firing pin safety and will not fire if dropped, in a high stress high adrenalin dump self defense situation, you will need that split second that it takes to cock the hammer, unless you extensively practice drawing your pistol in that mode, extensively being the key word.

shoot safe,shoot straight, and have fun

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My concern is the danger of having the hammer slip when lowering it.

To lower the hammer, you have to pull the trigger. And one of the "rules" is to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Should it indeed slip, I, for one, would call that a Very Negligent Discharge.

Go Condition 1.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Condition one.
    Look at it this way. Simply go with the way the gun was meant to be carried. THAT should be the safest and most practical mode. The 1911 was intended for condition one.

7. gollygee

gollygee New Member

The chance of my thumb slipping while lowering the hammer plus possibility of a slip when cocking it under stress is why I carry C&L. If your pistol has a spur hammer, could make a difference. Afterall, SAO revolvers served many folks real well for a long time.

Here's a video of a guy that draws & shoots a Colt 45 twice, popping two balloons & it sounds like he only fired once. Question still exists about if he can do this in a situation of being surprised by an attacker & under extreme stress. I don't think it mentions what or how he carries for SD. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujvVmuLuoM&feature=youtu.be

8. Buckeyeborn

Buckeyeborn New Member

Thanks for the reply I am not Bob M not even close I do practice situational awareness everywhere all the time just worry about the safety sliding off while holstered an having a colt officer model pointing at my *** is worrisome

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are four safeties involved to fire off a 1911.
    Thumb, grip, finger off the trigger, and the one on your shoulders.

Normally, the first three of the four have to be set to "fire" for it to shoot.

The last should be used to read and heed all safety rules.

10. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Condition 1. The most important safety is the one between your ears.

11. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Cocked and locked only, like Dan said, I don't the idea of putting the hammer down on a round.

12. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

My opinion is that is the wrong way to carry a 1911. Cocked and locked is the way.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

But if your mind is made up that you are gonna carry condition 2, keep a wide spur hammer on it.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The gun was designed to be carried in condition one. Do you drive your car from the back seat?

If you are worrisome, don't carry.