Serial number

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by XDM9tactical, Dec 20, 2011.

1. XDM9tactical

XDM9tactical New Member

Anyone have any info of how to do a serial number search on a weapon?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A search for what?

If you want to know the date of manufacture, there are different sites- or none at all.

Want to know who had it before you? Not going to happen.

Want to know is it stolen? You cannot get that unless you are a LEO. However, if you check with local LEO, AND if they have the gun in hand, many will run it thru NCIC. But as a private citizen, you do not have direct access to NCIC.

S0- whatcha got?

3. XDM9tactical

XDM9tactical New Member

Just trying to find out if this weapon I have has any kind of history.

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Follow your instincts...if your gut tells you it has an unsavory history, the gun is simply not worth owning.

And if you go to a LEO to get it checked out and it turns out to have a troubled past, YOU will have a troubled future for sure. It just ain't worth the potential for problems.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Likely, if you buy a gun your worried about and then take it to LEO, and it doesn't check out clean, you'll be a witness in a stolen goods investigation, and still be a free man. I would assume that whatever money you spend on it for purchase us just going to be lost to you though.

It could depend a lot on the mood that the LEO or DA is in at the moment too, and how you present yourself.

6. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

If I have any question at all I have the owner go with me to the Sheriff office and let them run it!

If they don't want to go with me that ends it right there!

7. kdog

kdog New Member

What kind of weapon are you talking about?

A simple serialnumber search can also be done by the manufacturer. Send Sig you serial and they can give you the birthdate. I think in the US you can also get a birthcertificate from Sig.
    I would guess, that all manufacurers are able to give that information.

But I doupt you will be able to any further information, unless you are looking for historical info from WW I or WW II firearms.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I don't know how they do it, but I've read of folks tracing WWII firearms back to their original owner/user in that war. If it is a former military pistol, may be able to get info through them.

9. kdog

kdog New Member

It depends what documents are still there.