Serial number search?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by xcoreyyyx, Jun 6, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Is there a site or anything that can be used to look up serial numbers of guns to see if they are stolen? I know that you can take it to the local police station or really the local state police station but I was just wondering if there was a site you could use to do it yourself.

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Which is what your FFL is supposed to be doing when he calls

a serial# in for you to purchase?:confused:

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Not all sales require or go through an FFL.

4. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Nope, like when I go to gun shows, people are just walking around with guns on them or a sign that they are selling guns. This would be considered as a private sale and sometimes its pretty sketchy considering some of them seem a little too cheap for what they are. So I was wondering if there was a site I could get on with my phone or whatever and check if its stolen or not. Also, in any private purchases that I would get around here if I found anything that I would like. You never want to just stroll into the local police station with a stolen gun. This would always result in the confiscation of the weapon and most likely charges.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

No there isn't; why? Short answer, because the feds want their database restricted to LEO access only. I have seen some local websites, but their information probably isn't as reliable or complete.

I actually called and emailed back and forth with my local police, state attorney general's office, and the batf office about this very issue not too long ago.

6. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to go through the local pd and have them check before I buy whatever it is that I see out there.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Small town or rural LEOs will probably run a SN thru the NCIC database for you- IF they have the gun in hand.

Think about it for a minute- they get a hit- and have no gun........:eek:

Access to NCIC is restricted to law enforcement.

8. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Yeah, I really don't want to be caught walking into a police station with a stolen gun. I have a few friends in law enforcement so I may just give them a quick call before purchase to have them run it before I make the buy. Thanks for the info though.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just a thought- know who you buy from. If someone wants to sell me a gun, and is not willing to show me an ID of who he is and where he is from.....

RUN!

10. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Yes, I was taught that in private sales to take down id numbers along as the name, home address and dob of the person.

11. cmhill

cmhill New Member

we call in all used or second hand firearm serial numbers before taking in or pawning a firearm they run it for us through ncic while we are on the phone however it does get a little hinky when we have to tell the individual we can not return the firearm to them and that the authorities are on their way to speak with them. normally we are able to stall them until somone makes it here without having to tell them though

12. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

lol, usually they know what is going on and what will most likely happen before they go into the store. They know that its stolen and that you might run the numbers. I am sure they would be suspicious if it started taking 15-30 mins.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

This may get garbled, but i will try to attach that last email from the batf dude that gave me permission to post his other email response to my question about a serial number check for stolen status:
    (agent gave permission to publish)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  14. orangello

orangello New Member

I can't find a copy of my inquiry to the state AG, but this was their response. I CC'd them on my batf emails. :p

15. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Wow, it sucks that there is no way to really be sure if it is stolen or not rather than to be actually caught with one off guard. I do not want to be going to the range one day and be pulled over for something as simple as a tailight or something stupid and have to tell the officer there are guns in the car. He then runs the numbers and something comes back stolen, I get arrested or ticketed for multiple things and the firearm that I have now paid for is confiscated never to be returned to me </3 I just don't see why there is a publicly open site that people can use to check if a firearm is stolen or not. Oh well, guess I will just have to hope they aren't. Thanks for all the info though.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Serial number is not called in on an NICS check. NICS only checks the eligibility of the buyer, not anything to do with the gun.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

What I do when buying or selling a gun is require that there be a bill of sale. If I'm buying I want to see ID. If I'm selling, it's only to a CWP holder.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if buying from an individual, and the price was too good to be true, there could be something wrong and cause you problems later on.

i e only have done very few face to face gun sales and have only dealt with people i knew personally and knew there would be no problems. another way to protect yourself would be to go through an FFL dealer even when dealing with an individual. if they were hesitant, then i would be suspicious and walk away from the deal.

19. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

This is something that has been a sticking point with me for a long time. There is no real way to determine the pedigree of any gun, with rare exception in some smaller municipalities where the local sheriff or LE wants to help in this way. Taking any pre owned gun in trade or by purchase, especially when it is done without any documentation as is permissable with long gun sales in my state, is a crap shoot to whether or not it is hot. I really could never understand why this is. I also don't buy the reasoning given that there is no real database of gun ownership, as it should be, and that many thefts don't get reported. There is already a database of stolen guns through the NCIC and several years ago they tightened up the use of the general crime database by LE. Every time an LEO makes an inquiry using it, they have to state the reason why and it gets documented. For example, there used to be a time that you could ask your friend, the cop, to run a plate off of a car sitting in front of your house for weeks to see who owns it. Now, it is a big deal for any LEO to make inquiries and they have banned what they consider to be frivilous use of the system. In other words, one has to have a really good reason to run something or someone in the system and be able to justify it. I guess the powers to be consider checking firearm serial numbers, as many conscientious gun dealers would like to be able to do, frivilous.

20. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

^^
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there would need to be a reason or explanation or a definite "ticket and confiscation" in case a gun came back stolen. I was going to ask him before he ran it but this let me know about that. :( thanks again.