Sept 2012 Manhattan Community Board Public Hearing

Discussion in 'New York Gun Forum' started by mrreynolds, Jul 21, 2012.

1. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

In New York State, the police have no duty to provide police protection to any particular individual. The Courts in New York have held that "generally, a municipality may not be held liable for the failure to provide police protection because the duty to provide such protection is owed to the public at large, rather than to any particular individual" (Conde v. City of New York, 24 AD3d 595, 596 [2005]; see Cuffy v. City of New York, 69 NY2d 255, 260 [1987]).

As the Chair of the Public Safety Committee of Manhattan Community Board 12. I will be holding a Public Hearing in September 2012 on NYS Senate Bill S1427 & S1863 with an emphasis on self-defense education & firearm training for women.

Bill S1427 PURPOSE: This proposed constitutional amendment would provide within the New York State Constitution for a right of the people to keep and bear arms for traditionally recognized purposes

Bill S1427 PURPOSE: This legislation would remove a gun licensing officer's ability to deny or restrict the issuance of licenses to law abiding citizens who have successfully undergone the state's strict application process
    and appropriate New York State and Federal Bureau of Investigations fingerprint background check required under law. In addition, this bill will conform New York State law to current ATF requirements regarding background checks for firearms transfers.

September 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM at Isabella, 515 Audubon Avenue New York, NY 10040. If you live in New York State feel free to take a look at the information that I will be presenting as well as sign my on-line petition included at the link below. I hope that you will come out and support me as I support you. Fraternally.

http://cavalierknight.com/documents.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I commend you on your efforts. But the language used in the bill is poorly chosen (see highlighted section). By wording it in such a way you are leaving the door open for misinterpretations, alterations and/or limitations.

There is a better way to word your bill than what is proposed ...

:cool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Agree with Dog...that section jumped out at me too but he articulated the thought much better than I could...

And +100 to you for your efforts, I wish you the best of luck...

4. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

Thanks but you'll have to take that up with the NYS Senators that created that Bill I'm just the messenger.

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Sorry to dissappoint but I live in VT, where gun laws are lax and we have very little crime :p

Hmmmm ..... VT has lax gun laws yet low crime. NYC has strict gun laws and rampant crime ... odd how that is :rolleyes:

anyhow, kudos for your efforts and best of luck :)

6. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

One of the points I will be making as well! Thanks.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You can make a very dramatic point in support of 2A ... go here (my apologies in advance) - http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/ and use their own data against their argument ;) I would make sure to point out where you got the info from :D

The states that rank the highest (according to the Brady Campaign) also have the highest crime rate per capita. The state that rank the worst, have the lowest crime rate per capita ...

odd how that is :rolleyes:

8. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood a beautiful day so won't you be good...I love it thanks again

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

One thing I would shy away from is using any current events involving firearms in your argument. More often than not the information presented by the media is not accurate and emotions are still strong, even a year or 2 later.

Stick to older incidents and point out the fallacy of their argument with facts, and updates after the fact. One case in point is John Hinckey - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley,_Jr. His actions are a direct contributing factor the existence of the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. A little note most people do not no - he never served 1 day of jail time and is now allowed unsupervised leaves from the mental faciltiy where he has been housed.

The way to prevent gun violence is to enact strict punishments for the commitment of gun violence ... not restrictive laws on an inanimate object ;)

10. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

My documentation is from scholars and lawyers and case law thanks

11. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Excellent, but you will need to play on emotions somewhat as well ... as documentation and case law are boring as all hell to most people :p

12. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

As the Chair of the Public Safety Committee of Manhattan Community Board 12: FYI

DURING THE PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE MEETING HELD ON SEPTEMBER 05, 2012, THE SEPTEMBER 12, 2012 COMMUNITY BOARD PUBLIC HEARING ON PERSONAL SELF-DEFENSE HAS BEEN CANCELED BY A MAJORITY VOTE NOT IN FAVOR OF AMENDMENT II OF THE U.S. CONSTITUTION AND THE RIGHT TO PERSONAL SELF-DEFENSE.

THUS PREVENTING THIS INFORMATION FROM BEING SHARED WITH A LARGER SCALE OF THE COMMUNITY. I WILL KEEP THE DOCUMENTATION AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN FIREARMS EDUCATION AND FORMULATING DECISIONS BASED ON CURRENT LAW.*

AS OF THE SEPTEMBER 05, 2012 MANHATTAN COMMUNITY BOARD 12 PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE MEETING, IT WAS STATED PUBLICLY BY A SENIOR MEMBER OF THE SENATORS STAFF THAT THE BILL BELOW WAS ADOPTED FROM A PREVIOUS LEGISLATION AND IS NOW OFFICIALLY DROPPED FROM ANY OF THE SENATORS PENDING LEGISLATION AND THAT HE ALSO VOTED AGAINST Bill S1427-2011

Bill S1863-2011 An act to amend the penal law, in relation to licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms

Sponsor: ESPAILLAT

I APOLOGIZE FOR SHOUTING BUT THAT'S HOW I FEEL. I WILL STILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE PETITION. THANK YOU.

13. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

The September 12, 2012 meeting has been canceled. Now I can get my A+ Rating from the NRA and my own reality TV show because I made the local paper. It's called Democracy, although I might have to charge two dollars for an autograph because I might need everyones favorite 2A lawyer, lol.

DNAInfo Article

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

14. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Thank you for helping us out over here. It get's very lonely. They are not going to give up...:mad:

15. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

I do what I can I appreciate your feedback. As an African American man representing for the 2nd Amendment they don't know what to do with me.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Keep on keeping on! Never let up.
    Opponents have a way of quietly amassing strategies during a 'lull' in the procedures. Keep a vigilant sentry.

17. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

Always I never thought you could violate the U.S. Constitution by enforcing it who knew.

18. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Huh? Scholars and lawyers...............WTF those are the people who took your guns away. :confused:

19. mrreynolds

mrreynolds New Member

So then who wrote the U.S. Constitution and the Second Amendment?