Sense of smell while sleeping?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by colmustard, Apr 29, 2014.

1. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Basic question, does your sense of smell still work while sleeping?

Had an interesting conversation this past weekend while camping with family. A couple of them said that your smell does not work and that is why some have died during house fires while asleep. Also they claim that you cannot smell any smell after a short while if you are not thinking about it.

If that is the case then why do smelling salts work? Why do some food smells wake me up? Maybe some people are different, maybe some scents alert you while others do not or maybe your sense of smell is just working at a minimum?

I know stupid question, but when I look it up I get mixed answers. And my family is rather bull headed so I want to know! :)

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I don't know, I haven't studied it. But over the years I can name a few people that would run you out of a tent in the middle of the night during deer season after several cold ones and chille around the campfire:D

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I am going to say YES, I used to get woke up every morning by Mom making fresh brewed coffee, bacon or sausage & eggs when I was a kid at home !...............

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

That's what I was saying, but they told me that it wasn't the smell of the food rather than a random noise that would wake me up.

5. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

During a house fire there are many toxic fumes that have no odor. Those who have died in their sleep were probably already in an advanced unconscious state and couldn't have awakened. I'm pretty sure my senses work pretty good while sleeping. I've been awakened many times by some of my wife's "winds" shall we say.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Yes. One night I dreamed there was a dead skunk nearby, it woke me up because it smelled so bad. Turns out the dog farted and triggered the dream. :D

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have been awakened by food smells, too. When we sleep, we have a 90 minute sleep cycle that repeats over and over. We go from light sleep to a very deep sleep. I think maybe smells can wake us up if we are in one of the lighter cycles of sleep. Just for information, it is recommended if you nap, to take a 90 minute nap so your body can go through the whole sleep cycle and you're not awakened from a deep sleep that might leave you pretty groggy for a while.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  8. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Darn, now I am going to have to take longer naps:D

9. winds-of-change

10. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I was hoping you would chime in winds! Thanks for the info everyone!

11. winds-of-change

Why me? Because I appear to be a know-it-all? :(

12. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

13. colmustard

colmustard New Member

No, because of your medical professional background...duh! :D

14. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have been woken up multiple times for the same thing! It's so bad that he'll sometimes jump up and run, looking back like something's trying to get him and sniffing the air. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Real dogs drool!

15. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

OH sure.... Blame it on the dog!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would have to say yes it does as well. like mentioned before, i too have been awakened from sleep by the smell of food cooking.

some people are killed during house fires form being deprived of oxygen. lack of oxygen can cause a type of narcosis from which they can't awaken from.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Been awakened by smells on a submarine.

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I thought it was cause she gave a hoot! Ha!

Interesting topic. I dont dream of food, rarely even remember dreams anymore (is that weird?). I honestly cant say if my nose works while Im sleeping although like others, Ive awoken to the smell of something in the air before and assumed it was that that woke me. My wifes Pharts are the first thing that comes to my mind (She has said the same about me but my own dont ever wake me!). Then there are mornings she apologizes for a whole night of gassing me but I never woke up once yet she cant sleep through them herself!

Pharts are an interesting study all to themselves, If I was a Crapologist, thats what I would want to understand. How does something like a medium Rib-eye steak smells so darn good going in end up stinkin like Hogans Goat on the way out? Nother thing, we gotta find a way to capture pharts, the NRG potential is incalculable, such a waste...

19. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Pharts, Is that the medical spelling of the verb?

Anyway, I did not smell anything lastnight............:D

20. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I get woken up by smells all the time. If the downstairs tenant is cooking in his kitchen (right under my bedroom) the smell comes up through the floor, and it wakes me up. Woke up Saturday to the smell of smoked trout through my bedroom window. My uncle was using our smoker to cook Thursday's catch. If someone scares a skunk by the road to our west, the wind carries it towards our house, so I have been woken up by smells, both good and bad, more than once.

The worst smell I ever woke up to was the neighbor's son's car shorting out and catching fire at about 05:30 when he fired it up to go to work. Woke me up instantly, and my ex-wife was not in bed when I woke up. checked the whole house, nothing. Finally found her out front watching the FD put out the car. Scared the sh!t out of me.